Sears Craftsman 14" Bandsaws

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Daibach
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • 34
    • Squamish, B.C., Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #1

    Sears Craftsman 14" Bandsaws

    I recently saw a very good review for the Craftsman bandsaw #22401 in a WW magazine , and it seems to be popular on this board. It is listed on the Sears.com website.
    The Canadian Sears web site, Sears.Ca has a Craftsman saw that looks identical but with a different number, 092-827-960-10. The Sears.Com web page does say: "Product images may differ from actual product appearance."
    The unhelpful Coquitlam Sears store clerk said the Canadian and US Craftsman saws are made by different companies and aren't the same. The more helpful Victoria store clerk said it's probably the same but Sears Canada, Sears US and Sears Catalogue are like a disfunctional family and often aren't talking to each other!
    So, does anyone know if these in fact are the same saw?
    If so then I may not need to make a trip to the Grizzly Store in Bellingham for the G0555.
    Thanks.
    "Mother Nature is like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them!" The Squire-Wingfield's Follies
  • Uncle Hook
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • 314
    • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

    #2
    I own the Craftsman '14 in bandsaw. US Model number is 119.224010. I think the first 3 digits is the manufacturer ID.

    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

    The Canadian model appears to be similar to the US model, but i note the following differences.

    Horsepower: 2HP Ca model vs 1 HP US model

    Blade length: 93 3/4" Ca model vs 99 3/4" US model.

    Both saws have cast iron wheels, the same 2 speeds, and same table size.

    My guess is that the 2 saws are slightly different models from the same manufacturer.

    Comment

    • Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • 3815
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

      #3
      The HP difference is prolly just a matter of one being an actual hp rating and the other "max developed HP", but the blade size difference boggles me. If the wheels are 14", you'd think the resaw capacity would be significantly different to account for a 6" blade length difference. Resaw isn't stated on the Canadian site, at least not that I spotted, but the it looks about the same in the pic...? ..puzzling...
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

      Comment

      • Uncle Hook
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • 314
        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

        #4
        Perhaps 93 3/4" is a typo. A 93 3/4" blade would seem to be accurate if the resaw capacity were reduced by 3 inches (3 inches per side - 6 inches in total.)

        Also the HP rating may assume 220 volts. I am not much of an expert on electrical measurements or motor math.

        I would call the Sears Canada number and ask for specs like Sears USA supplies. Perhaps they (or their parts department) can provide a manufacturer warenty service number for you to call. This would seem like a reasonable request for $500.00 item, especially if you are ordering without seeing the saw.

        I assume you don't live near a Sears where you can inspect the saw.

        I believe the US saw is made by Rikon. You might try giving them a call.

        http://www.rikontools.com/

        Perhaps they can give you the names of Canadian distributors for their saws and confirm whether they make the saw for Sears.
        Last edited by Uncle Hook; 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM. Reason: Add additional data

        Comment

        • Daibach
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • 34
          • Squamish, B.C., Canada
          • Ryobi BT3100

          #5
          Craftsman 14" Bandsaw

          Thanks for the suggestions.
          I've sent an EMail to Sears Canada; I'll let you know what they say.
          "Mother Nature is like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them!" The Squire-Wingfield's Follies

          Comment

          • Daibach
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • 34
            • Squamish, B.C., Canada
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            Canadian Version of Sears Craftsman Bandsaw 22401

            First of all, I noticed last week that Sears.ca, the online catalogue for Sears Canada, had corrected their listing, now saying that the blade length is 99 3/4", the same as the US model 22401

            And this morning I finally got a reply from Sears.ca quoting their buyer:
            "Please let the customer know that our item number 27960 is the model 22401 that the customer listed. As well, the capacity of the saw is; cutting capacity -throat 13 5/8" cutting capicity height - 8 inches thanks"

            But I was in Vancouver last week and visited Busy Bee Tools (as well as KMS Tools, Lee Valley, and my grand-daughter). The Craftex CT082 16" bandsaw was on sale for only $75 more than the Sears* and it is now in my shop. (good thing I took the van over and not the motorcycle! )

            *The Sears.ca cataloge price was $550, the instore price was $650, the onsale CT082 price was $625
            "Mother Nature is like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them!" The Squire-Wingfield's Follies

            Comment

            • pber2025
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2006
              • 11

              #7
              I know you already purchased another product, but for the benefit of other Canadian readers...I have the Sears Canada version and I can confirm it is the same saw and it is a very good product.

              The 2HP is a bogus claim, it is a real 1HP TEFC motor wired for 110V and the blade is really 99 3/4". It works very well, is very smooth and has no vibration.

              Comment

              Working...