• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michelevit
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

Harbor Freight Scroll Saw Opinions?

One of the tools i am missing but desire is a scroll saw. I have
    never seen one before until I went to a local woodworking show.

I want to try making some cutouts of letters. The wife wants
    to spell out our daughters name in woodblocks and hang it above
    the crib. I am thinking this is the perfect time to purchase a scroll
    saw. She’s loves to spend money at the pottery barn and they are selling the
    letters for about 5 dollars each! I know I can crank these on a Saturday afternoon listening to cartalk. I could use my inkjet to make
    the template in a nice font and then spray mount it to some wood and then scroll saw the letters out.

I just received the new harbor freight mailer and they have their scroll
    saw on sale for 59.99. They also have a coupon which takes an additional 10 percent off. That would be less than 50 dollars for a new tool.
    Its like the tool gods are telling me to purchase this scroll saw and make some sawdust this weekend.

Anyone have any experience with the harbor freight scroll saw? I was also thinking of the Ryobi model from Home Depot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I wouldn’t be using this saw heavily, just on occasion
    to work on small stock. Any nightmares about the barbor freight scroll saw. I’m slowly subscribing to the “buy cheap and replace often” school of thought when it comes to tools. I already use the HF clamps, nail guns, drill press and even their HVLP spray guns.

Thanks again for the advice and this great forum. I have learned a great deal from just lurking and reading other posts.
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

scroll saw?

I don't know much about the HF one...but I do have the Ryobi one...bought it used from a friend (fellow woodworker) used for $50.00, he bought it new for $ 99.00 a few years ago at HD and didn't need it anymore. It is a good
    little saw and it does what I need, only dislike is the aggrivation in changing blades when they break, too time consuming for my likes, and the little cheap
    plastic dust blower hose on the top of the saw....it keeps popping off everytime I turn the saw on to work. That said...it is good enough for now. eezlock

Comment

• TomBar
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2005
      • Rexford, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

I have had the HF scroll saw for about a year. I think it is a good buy. I have done a few projects using hardboard, mdf, and 3/4" pine. I like the variable speed and the ability to use pinned or pinless blades. I have not had any problems with the saw and would recommend it.
      Tom

Comment

Working...