• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A very interesting new class of tablesaw - GI 50-090

General International has a new saw that they bill as a jobsite saw, but it looks to me to be an entirely new class of saw. It's essentially a cast iron and steel hybrid with an internally mounted belt drive 2hp induction motor that's mated to a stow away type rolling stand. It should be interest to the folks on this site who are looking for a smaller hgh quality saw but who don't want to get into the traditional portable jobsite type saws. GI is typically a very well regarded company....for those who may not know, GI is the import line of General, and are typically competitive with Jet, Grizzly, Sunhill, some Delta, some PM, and some Craftsman.

All I know of this saw is what I see in the pics and specs on their website. They claim a 2hp 13 amp induction motor, belt drive, 25.25" deep cast iron table, cast blade shroud, 2.5" DC port, steel wings, and it weighs ~ 250#. It's definintely not your typical 70# portable, but nor is it a typical 300# stationary hybrid. The saw itself looks a great deal like Jet's new 708100 hybrid. Not sure of a price iether.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50090a.html
    Attached Files
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
    Not sure of a price iether.
    A local re-seller here has it for $849 CDN.
    I would expect then you will see it in US for around $600-650
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The word I just got was that is has suggested retail of ~ $700, so your estimate is in ine. A little steep IMO, but sale prices might make it attractive. If the actual saw truly is similar or identical to the Jet (on sale for $400 recently), you could always grab the Jet and source your own roll away stand. (at work we call it "benchmarking" when you "borrow" ideas like that! )
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• NJFrank
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003
        • NJ, USA.

Sure does look like the Jet, except for the color and switch placement. Sears has the Jet for $399.00 on their website. wonder if you could get a craftsman club discount ?

Also left tilt, 220 lbs,

1-1/2HP, 1Ph, 115/230V pre-wired 115V (is this an induction motor?), miter looks like a t slot.

seems nice for the price

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by NJFrank
          Sure does look like the Jet, except for the color and switch placement.
          That HAS to be the same saw . . .

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            That HAS to be the same saw . . .
            The odds are good that's true...there's only so many TS plants in Taiwan!
            Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

They should make an aluminum top for these saws. I like aluminum, it is light-weight, stable (enough), and doesn't develop orange, crusty rust. It is tough, when hard anodized.

Comment

Working...