X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter59T
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Turning a vacuum cleaner into an HVLP spray painter

I imagine that a shop vac or other old vacuum cleaner could be turned into an air source for an HVLP spray gun. I have browsed the web extensively but not found any references to anything like it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I know I can buy a basic HVLP unit at HF/Rockler for $70-80 but that is not point of course. Why buy something cheap when you can spend time and money making something inferior?
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by Peter59T
    I know I can buy a basic HVLP unit at HF/Rockler for $70-80 but that is not point of course. Why buy something cheap when you can spend time and money making something inferior?
    I know you were just kidding by that last comment. As someone with a very small shop, I'm always interested in news ways of using existing equipment. So if you figure out a way I can use my shop vac to drive a HVLP spraying, I'm all ears.

Comment

• paulstenlund
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Puget Island, Wa.

This has been done. In the mid 1950's my mother purchased a top of the line vacuum cleaner with all the bells and whistles, one of the bells (or whistles) was a spray painting attachment that attached to the exhaust of the vac

Paul

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

You also don't see any low priced turbine powered HVLP systems that don't
        include the turbine (your vacuum in this case). Most, if not all, under $100
        include the sprayer and hose AND the turbine.

Comment

• Peter59T
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2006

I was thinking a vacuum cleaner would move more air

I have an old small canister thing (4Hp). It is set up so you can actually put the hose on the outlet instead, and get a blower. I don't know what they thought anyone would need that for but it will come handy. It just seemed like I can get a good quality spray gun and combine that with a large volume (cheap as in free) air source, I can get a better sprayer than one of the cheapest complete system. In the end, I am just playing anyway.

Here are two examples that I figured would fit the bill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93305

The first one even has an air regulator on the handle. Obviously the vacuum cleaner is a bit limited there. I'll just have to figure out some adapter between the quarter-inch fitting and my vacuum hose, but the again, a tapered plug with a hole drilled in it and 1/4 fitting pushed into it might do it.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

you know, all the kirby models come with a spray gun to paint the inside of you house. so i think it is doable, but how, that i dont know.

one thing that i have always though of is, when the trigger is not pressed, pressure will start to build up, now is that bad for the vacuum or not? you see, when you have a tank, pressure builds up and the motor stops when it reaches a certain pressure, but in the vacuums case, your pressure just starts building up because the motor doesnt stop until you turn it off.

if it isnt harmful, then i think its just a matter of getting the right attachement and making your own fittings to work. if you get it done and it works, i'd be all ears aswell and would like to know what your experience was and how were the results.

regards,

Comment

Working...