• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Angle Grinder with Grinding Wheel

I'm in the process of prepping my floor for epoxy, and there are some spots that i haven't been able to remove with any chemicals or scrubbing that i've tried yet. Would an angle grinder with a masonry grinding wheel (like the type you can get at the BORG) let me grind flat to the floor, or are those designed to be used at an angle to what your grinding? I know shot blasting the whole thing is probably the way to go, but i was quoted about $425 for equipment rental and media , so i'm looking at other options to clean the floor.

Thanks!
    Eric
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

they have to be used at an angle. if you lay it completely flat to the work the grinder is hard to control (think floor buffer wandering around)
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

What about renting a power float/trowel? I think they have some grinding ability.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

I don't know what the spots are but I have used a wire cup on an angle grinder. It took some time but worked.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

A grinding cup on an angle grinder may work - you should check the RPMs. Most angle grinders run at ~10RPM. I did some grinding on my concrete counters and had to get a sander/polisher. Another thing is if you do dry grinding you need a pad with a dust hood and a very good vac system - it is dusty. I chose to do a wet grind but you may not care so much since it is not in your kitchen. A wet grind will splatter the mud all over so you need to tent off the areas with plastic.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...