• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Bandsaw Motors

I've got a Delta 14" bandsaw that I picked up from Lowes one day for $320 because it was missing the belt. It's been great and really has done a good job for my purposes over the past couple months.

But the motor is only 3/4 HP. It's pretty slow in resawing anything of more than a few inches in width. I can't imagine getting the riser block for it because it just doesn't seem powerful enough to go through that much stock.

Can you simply find a new motor and replace it with a 1 HP or 1.5 HP ? Or is there more to it than that ? Probably a silly question but I figured someone here would know the answer.

Steve
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I personally think it would be fine to get a little beefier motor. Not sure that double the HP would be advisable though. Perhaps 1 HP tops. I would also keep around the same speed give or take just a little. That can be changed some with pulleys.
    Keeping it all in the same general spec as the OEM tool will ensure that you don't over stress the parts and over speed the bearings.
    I just received the parts I ordered for my remake of the Ridgid belt sander. Mine quit sooner than the parts got here, so I bought new bearing locally and used another old motor that turned the wrong way. I just flipped that motor around on it's mount and used it that way.
    What is nice about the new motor is that it's brand new and American made Leeson. TEFC means I can use it for nearly anything. It's also reversible. It's only $69, but is also only 1/2 HP. They have many more at a great price. Surplus Center.
    Lee

Comment

• Tundra_Man
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Dumb question, but what kind of blade are you using when you resaw? That can make a huge difference. Before you go through the expense of replacing your motor, make sure you've got a good quality (i.e. Timberwolf or equivalent) 1/2" 4 TPI blade for resawing.

A larger motor with the wrong blade will resaw just as poorly.
      Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Steve, I bought a used Ridgid 14" last spring. The owner had thrown away the OEM motor and installed a 1 HP. It works well with stock up to about 5" using what appear to be ordinary blades. I'm about to buy some Timberwolves and see how it does resawing thicker stock.

Comment

• ssmith1627
          • Dec 2005
          • Corryton, TN, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks guys. It does make sense to bump it up a little but not go crazy with it and try to do something it wasn't designed for.

I just can't see resawing something 10" wide -- that seems like asking a lot of it.

I do have the 1/2" timberwolf blade that I picked up from Woodcraft. Like I said, I really don't have any complaints about the resawing now -- I just think 4-6 inches is enough and that it wouldn't be able to handle resawing with the riser block in place. I don't plan to replace the motor any time soon -- I just had the idea in my head and wanted to kick it around with you guys.

This site is where I come for continuing education !

Steve

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Steve,
            My HF with riser resaws 10" hardwood with it's stock motor (1hp IIRC). Now, 10" is slowwwwwww, but it resaws it. If you haven't already, consider a better tension spring also.
            ken

Comment

Working...