is there much of a difference between the two? which one would you think would be best? K10 seems a bit more expensive, but not hugely so where I looked.
ISO-K10 vs ISO-K20 for router bits
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Tags: None
-
K10 is harder than K20 and will hold an edge longer. Some people like K10 for hardwood and k20 for softwood. I personally like K10 or equivalent but good K20 can be better than bad K10. I know that doesn't really answer your question but if the price is right and the set is decent quality, you can't go wrong with either.
Here is some info that may help. The first page other than the cover gives you some differences from this one supplier. I'm sure the bits your looking at don't use european carbide.
http://www.hardmaterials.sandvik.com...et/SE03459.NSFBrian
Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
"BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
www.holbren.com -
thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to flip a coin to decide between the three sets (since they are around the same price per-bit)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....pid=491&step=4 (K20 on sale, but not that much cheaper per-bit than the following)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....4&lastcatid=84 (K10)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....4&lastcatid=84 (K??, these are quite a bit more pricey per-bit than the other two)Last edited by wdreamsmaycome; 01-22-2007, 11:19 PM.Comment
-
I purchased a 24-piece Hickory Woodworking bit set from Amazon when it was on special for cheap w/ a bunch of stacked promo codes. It was my first router bit set and the low price (like $10) make it a no-brainer.
However, I have only used a handful of those bits. Like, all of the straights, and two of the round-overs, and a cove bit.
My point is, confronted with the choice between a $99 set and buying individual bits, I'd be inclined to buy high-end Whiteside's (I'd buy a 3/4, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, and undersized 1/4). I'd also buy a 1/8 and 1/4 piloted round over. And also a piloted flush trim.
I'd rather have the higher-end Whiteside bits that will cut longer before needing sharpening. Then, if I need any specialty bits, I'd order them based upon how much I plan to use them from Holbren.
You can get the Whiteside bits from Holbren, too. His prices are probably as low as anyones. And I think the shipping is either free or real cheap. And he is supposed to be having a sale on saw blades soon, too.Comment
-
I purchased what is your Option #2 from Blades N' Bits ... which is the 66 Piece set in a case, and absolutely love them and they seem to be of a good/high quality as the ones I've used heavily still seem to keep a razor sharpe edge ... YMMVthanks for the info, I guess I'll have to flip a coin to decide between the three sets (since they are around the same price per-bit)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....pid=491&step=4 (K20 on sale, but not that much cheaper per-bit than the following)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....4&lastcatid=84 (K10)
http://www.bladesnbits.com/merchant....4&lastcatid=84 (K??, these are quite a bit more pricey per-bit than the other two)
Best part is that they are located in Canada so there is no customs fees or issues ...
One thing I do with ALL of my router bits, saw blades, etc is to faithfully treat them with "Bostik DriCoat and I swear by the stuff, as it really seems to made a big difference versus untreated blades/bits ... and stops rusting to boot!"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. LewisComment
-
thanks for the tip! Regarding the set I wonder why the 50pc is significantly more expensive per-bit than the 66, as from the description it's hard to figure out if the quality is different or not.
Have you bought any sort of panel raising bits from them btw?Comment
-
In the 50 piece set, all the bits come in individual cases.She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.Comment
-
Yup ... the other sets come in cases which are actually fairly decent and have a specified spot for each bit to make it easy to get them back in the correct spots ... I can't stand having loose bits floating around not in a case."Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. LewisComment

Comment