• Show
Clear All
  • jrnewhall
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Rochester, NY.
    • Ryobi 3100

Ridgid spindle/belt sander thickness Jig

When I posted pictures of the end table I made, I promised pictures of the jig I built to control the thickness of the veneers I cut for the legs, my mini-drum sander. As you can see, it is pretty simple. It gives me very uniform thickness on anything I've put through it from 3" to 3/64" width and from 1/2" to about 5" high. (Anything over the low height of the oscillating belt needs to be flipped and run through twice.) So far I have been able to get a consistent dimension within 2 or 3 .001" according to my HF digital calipers. Usually this means several passes depending on how close to my desired measurement I was able to cut the piece. I do seem to get a small depression at the start if I'm not careful so cut your pieces a little long and trim them after you sand. To get the pressure plate square to the belt, mount the jig with out the stops on the ends of the track, run the jig up to the belt and sand it until it is even with the belt. This one still needs a stop on the left side of the table to keep it from sliding to the right as I feed the work-piece through.
    ~JRN
    Attached Files
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Very cool jig! I had a vague notion of something similar, but never got anywhere with it. You've done a good job of bringing this to life.

Maybe my David Marks floorlamp project will finally happen!

JR
    JR

Comment

• linear
      • May 2004
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Great jig!
      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• gad5264