• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

My New Favorite Tool

For Christmas by BIL gave me a Gift card to Woodcraft. He also gave me a new tape which has become my favorite tool. It is 16' Fastcap Flatback tape (www.fastcap.com) They have them at Woodcraft for $7.95. What I like about it is it lays flat and is flexible. It is easy to read the markings, black over a gray/white dull background, no glare. The markings are labeled 1/8,1/4,3/8,1/2, etc. and the 1/16"markings are numbered and colored in red. I have used it on a couple of projects and it is great, hook the end on the end of a piece of wood and it lays flat and the marking are so easy to read and no counting the 1/16ths. It is covered in black rubber material and also includes a built in pencil sharpener. It has become my favorite tool. They have some other types like a lefty/righty, a story pole tape, Inch/metric and the standard 16' tape. I might invest in one of these for other jobs. There is also a round area on the back for jotting down measurement, notes etc. Very handy and inexpensive tool. My BIL also went back and got himself one.

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM. Reason: misspellings
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I've got several tapes, but I always wind up using the same one. They become like good friends after a while. There's always that one that has that certain feel, or the familiar nick on the case. I don't change tapes in the middle of a project. That's a habit I got into a long time ago. If one breaks, then I'll check another for it's accuracy to the first one. It's just one of my quirks.

I've got friends that really go crazy for tape measures. One guy only uses a 30ft. Stanley. That thing feels like you're holding a softball. He likes it because it has the extra wide tape, and he likes to extend to see how far it will go before falling all over the floor.

Have another friend that always comes over to show me his new tapes. He has many. He was one of the first guys to have one of those digital tapes. He also has the laser tapes that you stand still and shoot a dot. His last tape, and I'm not kidding, has a AM/FM radio built into it. He's crazy about that one.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
      The markings are labeled 1/8,14,3/8,1/2, etc. and the 1/16"markings are numbered and colored in red.

Tom
      Um, Tom, if the tape really does read 1/8 inch, 14 inches, 3/8 inch, you might want to check the accuracy...

Just messin with ya! That and the lefty tape are on my list the next time I go to Woodcraft.

So, a small YOU SUCK to you!

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Fixed the typo (senior brain fart) I try to use one tape also, but finally found one that is easy to use as it lays flat and easy to read (64 year old eyes). Just got back from Woodcraft, they have a bunch of different models but none in stock that I wanted. Was going get the wixey Digital Angle gauge but they were out of that too, so I still have my gift card.

Tom

Comment

• Lefty Lucy

My most used tape has a cell phone and a small jack in it.

Comment

• cpritchard
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2006

Tom,
            I received one of those for christmas too! I love it!

Did yours have the lever action belt clip. Mine did not, so I called customer service and said a new and improved model will be out in feb 07. They said to call them then, and they will give you the better belt clip no charge.
            Chris

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by cpritchard
              Tom,
              I received one of those for christmas too! I love it!

Did yours have the lever action belt clip. Mine did not, so I called customer service and said a new and improved model will be out in feb 07. They said to call them then, and they will give you the better belt clip no charge.
              Thanks for that heads-up. I recently bought one but when I called to check on the lever clip -- was told that is wasn't valid on that model (same one Tom got). I'll call back in February.
              From the NW corner of Montana.
              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• cpritchard
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2006

No problem!

The cust serv lady said that they had some problems with the lever breaking and the engineer was working on somethin new.
                Chris

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Chris

Thanks for the heads up I will call them in Feb and get a new belt clip. The one thats one there is so strong I doubt if I could get it off my belt. Love the tape though. For an older guy with glasses it is sure easy to read.

Tom

Comment

• cpritchard
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2006

The clip on mine is so strong that I can not even get it on my belt. Otherwise a great tool!
                    Chris

Comment

• Deadhead
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
                      • BT3100

Great website! They sell Hookers too!!
                      http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=hooker

Oh, and I have the PSS-R Standard/Standard Reverse and really like it. I never could figure out why the standard tapes read upside down when I was holding the tape in my left hand and had the pencil in my right.
                      It took a little getting used to, but it's now the first tape I grab.
                      Last edited by Deadhead; 01-16-2007, 07:47 AM.
                      "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• mikeinkcmo
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2007
                        • where jessy james lived

Measurements on the tape? Information overload...overload...overload... :<{)

Seriously though, that would be pretty distracting to me just look at it. Kinda like digital vs analog watches. I like to just glance at the hands, a few seconds don't mean much.

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

It really just makes it easier counting 16ths. and the markings are really clear with no glare. It is good for layout work but too flexible for some other type of measuring.

Tom

Comment

Working...