• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

New in shark safety.

I think I have finally hit on a solution to an area on the shark's that bugged me for quite some time. I didn't have the actual problem in use, but a few guys have mentioned it. If you try to feed stock that is too high to go under the clamp, there is a possibility that the shark would lift up to high and the feeding action would slip it off the rear studs. Not a real good situation.
    Also if you pick the guard up and sit it on the front stud to use a ruler or tape to measure to the fence, you could push it back too far and it would fall off that way.
    I think I solved the problem with a simple piece of aluminum and a washer or two.
    Here are some pics.

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook1.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook2.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook3.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook5.jpg

I will add these to all new sharks. It is possible to add these to your sharks for all but the 1.0's. They didn't have this same issue. I will have to raise the price for these by $2 per shark, but retro fits would be a $5 which includes $4.05 for priority shipping. I think cost wise, it's a useful investment. If you have already placed an order, no charge. These will all be safety red in color.
    I don't personally consider this a must, but I make the things. You guys may find them quite useful and it could save you some headache. If interested, just drop me an email.
    Thanks.
    Lee
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looks like a great solution to me! Simple too.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

shark upgrade

Originally posted by Stytooner
      I think I have finally hit on a solution to an area on the shark's that bugged me for quite some time. I didn't have the actual problem in use, but a few guys have mentioned it. If you try to feed stock that is too high to go under the clamp, there is a possibility that the shark would lift up to high and the feeding action would slip it off the rear studs. Not a real good situation.
      Also if you pick the guard up and sit it on the front stud to use a ruler or tape to measure to the fence, you could push it back too far and it would fall off that way.
      I think I solved the problem with a simple piece of aluminum and a washer or two.
      Here are some pics.

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook1.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook2.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook3.jpg

http://leestyron.com/thook/thook5.jpg

I will add these to all new sharks. It is possible to add these to your sharks for all but the 1.0's. They didn't have this same issue. I will have to raise the price for these by $2 per shark, but retro fits would be a $5 which includes $4.05 for priority shipping. I think cost wise, it's a useful investment. If you have already placed an order, no charge. These will all be safety red in color.
      I don't personally consider this a must, but I make the things. You guys may find them quite useful and it could save you some headache. If interested, just drop me an email.
      Thanks.
      There he goes again...leave it to Lee, he is always coming up with another
      way to fix another problem, by the way he has the best splitter / guard
      around....oh, I forgot ! he may be listening/ reading this...hey Lee
      glad to see you here........eezlock

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Thanks Guys.

Here is the link for those that might be interested.

http://www.leestyron.com/tailhook.php
        Lee

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Great Idea! I just ordered one.

I had been tinkering with various arrangements of rubber bands to hold the Guard in place when it was lifted and was even going to send an email asking if any such device was in the works. Glad to see that you beat me to it.

The only question would be to ask about some kind of spring loading to hold the aluminum piece down, making its engagement almost automatic. More importantly, perhaps, it would ensure that disengagement was an active process. It looks like gravity will take care of that if the attaching screw is loose, the screw hole in the aluminum is slightly oversized, or the screw itself is designed appropriately.

In any case, thanks for another great innovation.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

There he goes again...leave it to Lee, he is always coming up with another way to fix another problem, by the way he has the best splitter / guard around....oh, I forgot ! he may be listening/ reading this...hey Lee
            glad to see you here........eezlock
            I've just ordered one, more for better dust collection and convenience than for safety since I use the stock guard all the time. What impresses me most about Lee and his product is the focus on safety. This seems a lot like the $5 improvement to a gas tank that will keep it from exploding in a crash.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Thanks Guys.
              Steve, you can adjust the stiffness using the screw. There is an over sized hole in the aluminum. I have been in all areas of this trying to determine what might work best. I have tried some spring plungers, clips, hooks on front, sliding latches and catches. The issue I had with most of those solutions were cost and the fact that it took two hands to use. This design is simple, cost effective, spans the most versions for an upgrade and can be installed using one hand. You have to adjust it for use like you want it, but I tried it every way from very tight to spinning around sloppy and all of the worked the same. Gravity does hold it in place. Now there may be a way to add some sort of spring if you wanted to. I have some spring wire for testing, but just not sure yet how it might attach and work.
              I am open to ideas as always.
              Thanks.
              Lee

Comment

• softop41
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Tail Hook

Lee,
                I just ordered one. So simple but so helpful. Do you ever stop thinking?
                Jerry
                Jerry
                Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  Thanks Guys.
                  Steve, you can adjust the stiffness using the screw. There is an over sized hole in the aluminum. I have been in all areas of this trying to determine what might work best. I have tried some spring plungers, clips, hooks on front, sliding latches and catches. I am open to ideas as always.
                  Thanks.

Lee, looks like you have already covered the bases. Relying on gravity is probably the best solution - simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Thanks. Regaards, SN

Comment

• jarhead
                    • May 2004
                    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Lee,
                    Is it also made to fit the Craftsman 22124 shark?

Comment

• THyman
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Lee,

Is the $128 include the Sharktail hook or is the new price $130.

Thanks, Todd
                      War Eagle!

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Now if only you would bend that brain of yours (in your 'free' time) to somehow think up a version for the BTS20R, all of us 'owners of the lesser saw' would also bless you...
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by jarhead
                          Lee,
                          Is it also made to fit the Craftsman 22124 shark?
                          It's made to fit almost all of the shark's except the first version 1.0. The slot on those came in from the rear instead of underneath and back.
                          If guys with 1.0's wanted one, I'm certain a reverse of this would work for them as well.

It's gonna take me some time to update the pricing on these. If orders for new guards are placed, this part is included regardless of the price on the site. In other words, you can lock in the current price with an email if you are looking to order in the next month or so.

You can email me about a version for the BTS20 if you like. The version I make for the Ridgid models is very similar to what this saw would have to use. I am also working on some older Craftsman model's that will be very similar. It would take some time, but that would get the ball rolling.
                          Lee

Comment

Working...