• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Time to Upgrade My Cordless

My old 14V Ryobi tools are starting to die and I plan to upgrade. I was in Sears a couple of nights ago and saw these.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidflk.0

Anyone have them or know anything about them?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Oh aren't you broken hearted. You have to buy a new tool and a cordless drill no less. I know nothing about Craftsman but I just have to say - look at the Makita. It'll outlast you. Enjoy looking and deciding on which one. There are so many great ones out there right now. I'm jealous but until this Makita breaks I'm stuck although I say that with tongue in cheek. It's a great drill and still very happy with it after 7 years. I did recently however have to replace the batteries but I figure that's still pretty darn good. Two batteries less then $100.00 bill and it's like new.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

Well lithium Ion seems like the way to go now. I have the regular craftsman 19.2 volt. I cant remember exactly how long I have I had it but I just recently replaced the batteries. They are on sale this week for the craftsman club. I might get another pair while they are cheap.
      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Lithium Ion does seem to make sense. I don't know how long the display had been off the charger, but it gave my wrist a good twist when I tried to hold the chuck and pulled the trigger.

Gotta figure this out now, Mac. Birthday coming up soon...
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Lithium Ion You'll just love the light weight AND the way the battery holds it's charge
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

HD currently has the Ridgid 24 volt Li 4 piece kit for the same price ($379). There is also a current promotion for one free cordless tool by mail. For $379, you get a hammer drill, circular saw, recip. saw, flashlight, 2 batteries, charger, storage bag, and the free tool. The Ridgid tool comes with a lifetime warranty with free lifetime battery replacement.
            ________
            Kinky.And.Juicy
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• pirinst
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2005
              • Portland, Or, USA.

Have the regular 19.2 Sears stuff.

I figure all craftsman stuff to be disposable cordless tools, I like their options

to buy by the piece. Ryobi has the same one plus type system with different

items including radio, vacuum cleaner, caulking gun, (not to mention the

cordless miter saw which I am currently on the lookout for one as they are

discontinued).

Have looked at their Lithium Ion circular saw at the store and it has rivets for

the pivot points which is a minus as far as I'm concerned. Just a matter of

time before the rivets wear and the pivot points get sloppy throwing off the

alingment of your cuts.

The Only cordless full sized circular saw I've seen so far at any store

with bolts in all three pivot points is the Lowes Black and Decker high

voltage (24v I think) set. It holds its platform extremely well at full

extension (plywood depth). I don't need one as I have two corded

circulars with bolts replacing the rivets, as well as three cordless saws

that hold their lines very well.

If it was me looking for a new system from scratch and I wanted the best

circular saw (full sized btw), I'd go with the Lowes B&D.

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

On ask this old house they had a dewalt 30 or 32 V full size circular saw. Of course they didnt go into detail since they were talking about batteries but it looked like a regular saw with a battery slapped on it.
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I'd put my money on the Ridgid combo that was mentioned in the earlier post. For the same money you get a 3-year warranty and, with registration, the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement which will replace those batteries (and most wear parts, including motors, bearings, brushes, etc. for life). I believe the Craftsman power tool warranty is still only a year.

I picked up the Ridgid 18v hammer drill and circular saw for $137 (just before Christmas). Certainly not the longer run time of a Li-Ion, but the price was right.

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                    • Dec 2006
                    • hagerstown, md

Pappy,

Have a look a Hitachi's stuff, you get a 5yr waranty.
                    パトリック
                    daiku woodworking
                    ^deshi^
                    neoshed

Comment

• Cheeky
                      • Nov 2006
                      • westchester cty, new york
                      • Ridgid TS2400LS

I can't recommend the Milwaukee V28 4 pc combo enough.

There was a set at HD near me (don't know if it's still there) that's only $397. Get your hands on a 10% off HD coupon, and that's a great deal.

As mentioned, the Sears warranty is only 1yr, and that battery is 90 bucks to replace.
                      Pete

Comment

• Slik Geek
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Lake County, Illinois
                        • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by onedash
                        Well lithium Ion seems like the way to go now. I have the regular craftsman 19.2 volt. I cant remember exactly how long I have I had it but I just recently replaced the batteries. They are on sale this week for the craftsman club. I might get another pair while they are cheap.
                        What is "they"? 19.2 volt batteries? I couldn't find them.

Comment

• lrr
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Fort Collins, Colorado
                          • Ryobi BT-3100

I bought Craftsman 18V set about a year ago -- drill and circ saw, 2 batts and charger for $65. The only complaint is that I find the chuck difficult to really grip and get it snugged down.

Check the weight on some of the Li-Ion sets. I picked up a 24V drill and I almost got a hernia. I do not remember brand, but it felt like it had a gel-cell battery hanging on it!

I'd certainly check out Ridgid, especially with the Lifetime offer on batteries.

My first cordless was a Makita 9.6V in 1987. I had to get a new battery for it last year. You'd think they would last an even 20 years.

Lee

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I like my Ryobi 18V drill except for the weight. I drilled 1/2 inch holes in steel when relocating the axle on my boat trailer with it. With a sharp bit it was good for 3-4 holes per charge. The Ryobi 18V circular saw is light duty, however, IMHO. I noticed Ryobi had the circular saw/drill combo with two batteries for only $60 in a recent add. I hope they are not phasing this stuff out - or maybe I should hope they are so I can get a good price on the right angle drill, jigsaw, and reciprocating saw I want but have not justified to myself, yet.

I wouldn't want to disuade you from lithium/ion technology, I think it is better. For drills the only useful advantage I see is weight. For circular saws, I suspect it could make them more useful, however.

Jim

Comment

• gabedad
                              Established Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Chelmsford, MA.
                              • unfortunately bts-15

I bought new 2 pack of 19.2 craftsman batteries just before christmas - $52

Yesterday it rained all day - in the evening my wife was letting the dog out and said "isn't that your drill outside? (i had been working on something over the weekend)

Brought it in, dried it off - still working - whew!

Comment

Working...