harbor freight extended warrantees? is it that easy? Are they worth purchasing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michelevit
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

harbor freight extended warrantees? is it that easy? Are they worth purchasing?

I am planning on purchasing some cheap shop tools this weekend
    from my local harbor freight (pressure washer, cheap wood router, dust collector)
    Everytime I go in there the high school tout the merits of the extended
    warrantee and how if anything happens to the tools during the extended
    warrantee I can simply come in the store and exchange it.

The last thing I purchased was a spray gun and the salesperson pushed the extended warrantee. I asked what could go wrong with a simple spray gun.

She replied, " well if you drop it and break the cup, you can come in and exchange it for a whole new spray gun!"

Is this true? Is replacing a broken tool from harbor freight as easy as just walking in and exchanging it for a new one? Or is this just what the commision paid salesperson is saying to just push extended warratnees?

any reply or response is greatly appreciated.
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

I haven't tried the extended warranty, but my HF is very good about replacing broken stuff, no questions asked. I think they have a lot of practice.

I'd stay away from that router though. Never heard anything but complaints about them ( hope I'm not offending anybody!).

Eddy

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

In a word "Yes"
      They ask next to no questions if it is under warranty.At my local store, they just replace it.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

HF extended warranties....

As for HF extended warranties,I wouldn't bother with it,just another way for the store to make extra money from the customer.

Reason for my saying that: about 30 years ago, I bought a Kenmore washing machine from Sears,with extended warranty, after original warranty had
        expired the dummies still would not even fix the machine under the extended
        warranty....I had the papers to prove my case, they said " not our problem
        anymore, if you wanted it fixed we can send out service tech,but you will
        still have to pay any and all charges incurred." That was the end of extended
        warranty crap sales gimmicks for me! eezlock

Comment

• wassaw998
          • Jul 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Statistics are going to tell you that an extended warranty is not a good buy. Odds are you will never use it. I do understand that when buying from HF the quality is a bit suspect, so the extended warranty has more appeal.

Also, I have noticed confusion over a lot of HF items and their "standard / out of the box" warranty. Most of the big items I have come with a 90 day / 1 yr limited warranty as standard. I refused the extended warranty on the DC - as the saleman told me it came with only a 30 day warranty and after that I'd just have a pile of junk if it broke - and when I opened the box found the normal 90 day warranty. (Maybe the pile of junk can be argued ! - which is I am sure why they tend to sell a lof of warranties !).

However, when I bought a Lathe there, I did pay for the warranty (ok, I gave in!) . To date, I have had to have that item replaced 2 times - once about 2 months after purchase and the ext war was not needed as it was still covered under the standard warranty, the last time I was told the extended war had expired, but, HF still honored it and had me return the unit for a full replacment. This time, they asked me if I wanted to purchase another ext warranty and I refused. (Again, out of the box, 90 days/1 yr limited). And yes, both were full replacments, so I have had 3 new in the box lathes, which says something for their replacment policies , but, I guess also says something about their quality control.

So - on top of all of this, HF has a very generous return policy regardless of the warranty. On a small item I'd not even blink on the warranty, on a larger item, well, ......do ya feel lucky....
          Chris

Comment

• michelevit
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2005

another question.

Did you just return the item to the store and exchange it for a new one?
            or did they make you mail it to a service center and mail you a new one. If all you needed to do is return the tool to the store and they handed you a new one, I'd say thats a good deal.

Comment

• wassaw998
              • Jul 2004
              • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Yes - both times, just returned to the store. They really do have a stellar policy on returns - totally no hassle / arguments. The 2nd time I really just wanted to get the part replaced (I'd guess it to be a $15 part) , as it was quite a hassle for me to dismantle the lathe,and haul it in, but, in the end, I have a new one so can't compain ! Just note that with warranty or without, the same stellar policy exists - the 1st time the extended warranty did not even come into play. You just get a longer time with the warranty. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with a return at HF. IMO - were you to drop the cup on your spray gun and break it and take it back to the store (and were still under the out of box warranty period) they'd replace it for you just as fast as if you had bought an extended warranty, but maybe I'm wrong.
              Chris

Comment

Working...