• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by scorrpio
    Looks like your baseplate edge is out of parallel with blade. When front of blade is further from edge, the saw will keep pulling away from guide. If back is further, the saw will pull into the guide - shifting it if not clamped real tight, or either binding or making a ragged cut. Tune the saw to parallel. My old Rockwell CS baseplate attaches with screws, and can be adjusted. If your plate is not adjustable, you might need to sand the edge till it is parallel to blade. Or, you can make a sub-baseplate.
    This does make sense - i have never checked the saw for correctness or for adjustability. shall do so now. The idea of a sub-baseplate is even more appealing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
    There was a nice cross cutting jig in the latest shop notes which I could be tempted to build. It doesnt help on ripping though
    What a coincidence - I have the very same page of that issue open right here, and was trying to think up of some way to make it a ripping guide too. (For those who did not see this mag - this jig holds the CS between two 1/2 aluminum channels screwed to cleats on a plywood base; the workpiece (plywood upto 4ft wide) is held on the base but under the channels, trapping it for a pretty safe and steady 'panel-saw'.)

As I see it, the biggest problem for a ripping jig on the same principles would be the sag across the 8 ft of aluminum channels; can't think of any cleat staying rigid and not sag for a length of 8 ft.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

Working...