• Show
Clear All
  • ART-EDNA
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • AXTELL, NEBRASKA, USA.
    • RYOBI BT3100

Johnson cutting guide J4900

anyone used this guide is it worth looking at?
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Not sure it's the same one I have. I picked mine up a while back (I think the summer) when Lowe's was clearing them out. Paid something like $5 -$10. I use it on a regular basis. It lets me use my circular saw and router and get a straight cut. I also use it as a straight edge. Have NOT used both piece together to cut over 48", so I don't know how well they lineup.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'm too lazy to look it up to see if it's the same, but I have the 2 48" pieces that join together to form 96". I don't use it, it's sort of a pain to set up. I used it once at 96" and it bowed in the middle with slight pressure against it, even with having it clamped. IMO these really aren't worth the money--a good straight board is better and cheaper.

I would like to have the clamping edge guides, which would be much more useful with no clamps to get in the way.
      Joe

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have one that was purchased in a deal for my company where I had to use quite a number of 4'x8" sheets. Attached it is very flimsy but if careful you will get by on a pinch. I re-enforced the connection at 48" adjoining the other 48".

I wouldn't purchase another for the long sheets. The good news I generally work with solid wood and rarely use ply or MDF. I do have and reccomend the TRU-GRIPs on various lengths. They work great and not overly priced..

Regards...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

How much you gonna use it?
          First option, Sawboards, otherwise
          They are ok for occasional use, but for more use I agree on Truegrips. For more use then that (or portable shop), I prefer my Eurekazone (some prefer Festool).

If your not sure, I would say save up for the Truegrips. Better deal long term.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BrazosJake
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Benbrook, TX.
            • Emerson-built Craftsman

I've got one, it's ok, as stated above, too flimsy when joined together, but I've used it for accurate rips on 8' sheet goods by putting a piece of carpet seam tape right under the joint to stick it to the workpiece.

For shorter stuff, a sawboard is much better.

Comment

• Deadhead
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
              • BT3100

Same as most above. I got it for cheap; I use it for 8' cuts only if accuracy is not crucial. I'd rather use an eight foot 2-sided sawboard.
              "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

Working...