X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpal
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006

Can you recommend an Angle Grinder?

Without describing my whole project, I need to wire brush the bark off a long rough sawn piece of lumber. I'm finding the "by hand" method mildly successful, but I need something more aggressive to get the desired effect. I figure there's a good excuse here for a new tool -- like an angle grinder with a wire brush wheel.

HD has a Ryobi and Lowes has a Task Force ... both for under $30. Can I go wrong?

thanks.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

HF has a 4 1/2" grinder that goes on sale regularly for under $20.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have a no name 4½" grinder that I think I paid about $15 for. It sees limited use but I've had it for years so I'm already money ahead.

Comment

• sacherjj
        Not Your Average Joe
        • Dec 2005
        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've got a 4" Makita, but I wish I would have gotten a 4 1/2". Seems like there are more options for discs that way.
        Joe Sacher

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

not the cheapest, but Ryobi does have an 18v model in the + system. I'll probably pick one up when I start working on my truck next spring.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LYU370
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Streamwood, IL.

I've got a Hitachi I picked up on sale at Lowes earlier this year. No complaints.
            Andy

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have a 4 1/2" Makita that is over 10years old and was abused the first 3 years. It is stil functioning flawlessly. Just make sure you get the metal headed model
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• jerrye
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2004
                • Raleigh, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

I have the HF 4 1/2" grinder. Had it for two or three years. No problems with it. Got it for $19.95 IIRC, but saw it a week or so ago for ~$11.00.
                Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

angle grinder...

There a lot different types of discs out there for the 4" and 4 1/2" angle grinders. Some of them are really aggressive, they are made for all different
                  types of fast stock removal. check them out at local Borg or bigger tool
                  outlet stores, a speciality tool store can be a good source for these and the people there should be able to help you find the right type for your project.
                  I have seen discs that are a flat stainless steel type that have several
                  holes in them with really aggressive cutting teeth that will eat wood up pretty
                  fast and they were not expensive.The disc sort of looked like one side of
                  old type hand held grater your wife would used to handgrate cabbage
                  with in the kitchen! eezlock

Comment

• Stick
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                    • BT3100

for the limited use most non-welders put an angle grinder to, the cheaper the better. For constant use though, nothing I've tried seems to stand up like a makita. I've got 5 of them in various sizes, and they've been great for over 20 years.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

I have a Hitachi that I gave $20 for. My bil bought a Homier for $4.99 and got lot's of use for, before it died (three years later). You really need to judge how often you are going to use it. I just bought better because I want to try to get one of those chain wheels, and carve on a stump sometime.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Thalermade
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Ohio
                        • BT 3000

I went with more power when I bought the DeWalt 4 1/2inch 10 amp model 28402 this fall to cut the bolts and leaf springs off my old Jeep.

Lowes had it for $69, HD for $89. Heavydutytools has the same model with out case for $45 with free shipping.
                        http://www.heavydutytools.net/Script...?idproduct=503

All the other brands were priced between $40 and $70, but nothing more than 6 amps if I remember correctly.

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I bought a cheap one from Northern Hydraulic to cut ceramic tile dry. Pretty abrasive. I thought it would be a throw away but it still works well. I think angle grinders are a tool that it does not pay to stay with big name brands. Cheap works pretty well.

Jim

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I have the Ryobi corded model, I think it's the AG451. Price was around $40, as I recall. I picked this particular grinder mostly because of its ergonomics. Except for a couple of bigger models, this was the only angle grinder (in this size) that provided a smaller rear handle with a trigger switch. IMO, it is much easier to handle than the fat-bodied housings where the on/off switch is located on top where you have to get it with your thumb. For me, the rear handle and switch offered better control and safer operation.

The AG451 comes with a case, grinding wheel, flap disc, and wire brush included with the case.

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

I agree that it is hard to justify big bucks for an angle grinder.They are handy when you need one but for me it's just not that often. I vote HF.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...