X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HauntedBranch
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Unloading HF 18ga nailer

I have a new HF 18ga. brad nailer and find that attempting to remove unused brads from the magazine is a real struggle. It drives brads fine but the nails stick in the "firing chamber" and resist sliding out to be removed. Is this just the way the nailer works or should I think about taking it back to HF and exchanging it?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Lee4847
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Canton, Oh
    • BT3100

Had One

For about an hour before I returned it....same results as you have. Went and purchased a PC...NICE
    Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

What brand of brads are you using? If they're not a brand name it could be that its not the nailer but the brads that are causing the problem.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I have 2 HF 18 guage brad nailers and have not had any issues (I must have gotten the two good ones, LOL).

I am using Bostich brads. I read on here not to use the HF brand brads.
        Joe

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          I have 2 HF 18 guage brad nailers and have not had any issues (I must have gotten the two good ones, LOL).

I am using Bostich brads. I read on here not to use the HF brand brads.
          What Joey said. I've had mine for almost three years now--no problems at all. I remember to oil it regularly and use PC brads.

Sounds like the problem might be more the brads than the nailer....

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

I have 3 of the HF brad nailers and have never had a problem with any of them.
            John Hunter

Comment

• HauntedBranch
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

Thanks for the replys. The brads that are binding in my nailer are Bostitch brand. They are 1 5/8 inch. I have tried some 1 inch PC brads since my post and they are not binding. I wonder if it is an issue with the length, somehow. I will experiment a bit more and just exchange it if that seems to be the best thing to do. Thanks again.

Comment

• ExYankee
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pleasant View, Tn.
                • BT3100-frankensaw

I am in the process of paneling my 16x24 shop with 1x12 pine salvaged from shipping crates. I am using this same nail gun and have noticed that the Bostich brads (from Lowes) seem a tighter fit than the ones that came from HF. In regards to the guns quality, I have found it will perform much better with a tuning, I disassembled the piston and ‘nose’ assembly and filed the rough edges off the push rod and dressed the mating parts with sandpaper and steel wool. Beware that the upper piston assy is a bear to get back together and aligned. But now I’m real happy with the consistency. (But STILL would like to have a PC ;-) I bought this to replace my HF stapler/nail which never worked well. When the cops caught the guy that broke into my shop in September and took off with a couple of grand of my tools they found he only had the stapler/nailer and a Craftsman sander left from what he sold. The sad part was I didn’t notice the gun being missing and didn't put it on my insurance claim so the police released it back to me! The perp apparently had been selling my tools at constructions’ sites and I guess everyone know the gun was no good!
                John Dyer
                ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

I would take it back. I have three from HF. two have never jammed and one does from time to time. It seems to be with two inch brads only.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• John Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                    • BT3000 & BT3100

Take it back! I use the Bostitch brand in mine with no problems at all.
                    John Hunter

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

HF bradnailer...

Originally posted by HauntedBranch
                      I have a new HF 18ga. brad nailer and find that attempting to remove unused brads from the magazine is a real struggle. It drives brads fine but the nails stick in the "firing chamber" and resist sliding out to be removed. Is this just the way the nailer works or should I think about taking it back to HF and exchanging it?

Thanks,
                      Phil
                      Phi, clean it good/ lubricate it good with wd-40, spray the magazine good with the wd-40 and wipe off the excess with a clean shoprag and use some
                      Bostich or P-C bradnails, these brands seem to work better than the HF
                      ones throw them in the trash where they belong! eezlock

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

I did exchange the original nailer and found the new one has a similar issue with 1 5/8 inch brads. I am using Bostitch brads, not HF. I have tried 1 inch and 1 1/4 inch brads and these do not bind so I believe it is the length. The magazine has several small ribs running it's length, one of which is at about the head of the balky-length brad and I believe the brad may wedge against it. Or maybe not. Anyway, the nailer is firing well and the fault is irritating, nothing more.

Comment

Working...