X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Cove cutter on the TS

So, what do you guys do when the project needs crown molding?

I saw this set a couple of years ago when it first came out and I'm now considering getting it (the Christmas list is still open ).

Do you see any issues with running the cove cutter on the BT3, other than the sheer volume of that thing spinning at 4,800 RPM?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CMT Cove Cutter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	789658
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I buy my crown moulding. If I wanted to make crown I'd get a shaper before I got that cutter to put on my tablesaw. That is a lot of mass for the motor to spin and is a lot of mass to be spinning. It would make me really nervous and I've made more or less all my mistakes when I was nervous.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
      That is a lot of mass for the motor to spin and is a lot of mass to be spinning.
      David,

My rationale on this is that it's about the same as running a full dado stack, i.e. about 3/4" thick. It depends, of course, on the diameter of your dado blades. The cove cutter is 7". I know a lot of us here have the 6" dado sets, but a few have 8" blades.

Chris

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I remember seeing an article on making crown molding on the TS using only standard blade. The cove is made by running stock over blade at an angle.

Comment

• AlanWS
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Shorewood, WI.

That big cutter is designed for use exactly as you would use a single blade on a tablesaw to cut a cove. The rounded edges should make for a much better surface than you'd get from a blade. The smaller diameter of the cutter compared to a blade limits the cove radius, but it makes a huge difference to the amount of energy it takes to spin up the disk. The thick plate will keep it from deflecting sideways under the force of cove cutting.

I think the comparison with a dado stack is valid. The best place to get definitive answers might be to contact CMT and ask them about the recommended power needed to spin the cutter. If the BT is underpowered, it could still be cautiously used by raising the blade in small increments to take a little stock off in each of several passes. You'd still have the strain of starting it spinning, so you'd want to avoid starting it up too soon after shutting it off.
          Alan

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by ChrisD
            David,

My rationale on this is that it's about the same as running a full dado stack, i.e. about 3/4" thick. It depends, of course, on the diameter of your dado blades. The cove cutter is 7". I know a lot of us here have the 6" dado sets, but a few have 8" blades.
            Good point. But I took a quick look at the cost and . It is more than my saw cost new. How much crown are you planning to make? I think I could replace all the crown in my house for what that costs.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

Using an angled fence to run the board through has always seemed like a less then safe operation to me. It obviosly works but I wonder what the accident rate is for that vs normal use.
              What about the ones with multiple cutterheads/blades that can be changed? I imagine they would be cheaper but probably have fewer options than this.
              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• ChrisD
                • Dec 2004
                • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by AlanWS
                That big cutter is designed for use exactly as you would use a single blade on a tablesaw to cut a cove. The rounded edges should make for a much better surface than you'd get from a blade. The smaller diameter of the cutter compared to a blade limits the cove radius, but it makes a huge difference to the amount of energy it takes to spin up the disk. The thick plate will keep it from deflecting sideways under the force of cove cutting.

I think the comparison with a dado stack is valid. The best place to get definitive answers might be to contact CMT and ask them about the recommended power needed to spin the cutter. If the BT is underpowered, it could still be cautiously used by raising the blade in small increments to take a little stock off in each of several passes. You'd still have the strain of starting it spinning, so you'd want to avoid starting it up too soon after shutting it off.
                Thanks, Alan. Contacting CMT is definitely my next step.

Blade deflection and quality of cut are exactly the reasons why I want to get the cove cutter (BTW, www.mikestools.com is offering it -- without the bits -- at a discounted price).

When I used the TS stock blade, it deflected so much that part of my ZCTP got chewed up even though I was not cutting more than 1/8" per pass. Also, I spent a considerable amount of time scraping and sanding the cove to remove the blade marks.

I'm not expecting a 100% scrape-and-sand-free surface from the CMT, but test cuts shown on www.woodshopdemos.com were pretty convincing.

I'll let you know what CMT advises.

Chris

Comment

• ChrisD
                  • Dec 2004
                  • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                  Good point. But I took a quick look at the cost and . It is more than my saw cost new. How much crown are you planning to make? I think I could replace all the crown in my house for what that costs.
                  David, I can get the cove cutter only for about $150. I know, the whole set is ridiculous. Useful but pricey.

Chris

Comment

• Brian G
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                    • G0899

Chris,

Have you considered a crown moulding bit for use with a router?

Perhaps something like one of MLCS' bits would suffice.

There are probably other vendors with something similar.
                    Brian

Comment

• ChrisD
                      • Dec 2004
                      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by Knuckles
                      Chris,

Have you considered a crown moulding bit for use with a router?

Perhaps something like one of MLCS' bits would suffice.

There are probably other vendors with something similar.
                      Brian,

I actually did. What I like about the CMT cutter that profile bits don't have is the range of arcs that it can cut. Granted that I will never fully take advantage of this feature, it's still nice to have such flexibility when designing.

Chris

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

By the way, another option is installing special blades in a planer. Of course, not every planer will accept them due to cutterhead clearance.

Comment

• ChrisD
                          • Dec 2004
                          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by scorrpio
                          By the way, another option is installing special blades in a planer. Of course, not every planer will accept them due to cutterhead clearance.
                          This would have the same limitation as profile bits that I mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Chris

Comment

Working...