• Show
Clear All
  • Tarheel
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • N. Carolina

Bosch Colt Issue

Hi everyone,

I have had the Bosch Colt (PR20EVS) trimmer for about 6 months now and ever since getting it I have have trouble withe the pesky spindle lock button. It doesn't grab the arbor tight when I put the wrench on the collet for bit changing. (I think that I had read something similar reported in a review I read.)

There is however a "flat spot" on the arbor near the base, where I think that I could go to a two wrench bit change setup and forget about the spindle lock button.

I just can't tell what size of wrench I would need to grab the arbor. Probably metric!

If there is anyone out there who has experienced the same problem and gone to using two wrench's (like PC routers), I would sure like to know what size I need and possibly where I could find one.

Thanks a bunch,
    Wayne
  • MilDoc

Yeah, that is it's one weakness. But, if you push the lock really hard it works just fine. Took me a while to get it right, but three hands would make it easier.

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Same complaint here - love the router otherwise. I hadn't thought about throwing a second wrench at the problem, but I'll take a look tomorrow night.
      -Joe

Comment

• Bollox
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I think on Pat Warners site he is using 2 wrenches on his.

Mike

Comment

• Tarheel
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • N. Carolina

Originally posted by MilDoc
          Yeah, that is it's one weakness. But, if you push the lock really hard it works just fine. Took me a while to get it right, but three hands would make it easier.
          Well Paul, ypur right about having to push really hard. With mine. It seems that the spindle will lock ok when tightening the collet, but just keeps on a'slippin' when trying to release the bit from the collet.

I think that the flat spots on the arbor (for a wrench) are about 10 or 11 MM. Think that I will try to find a narrow jawed combination wrench in those two sizes and try that as a solution.

Thanks,

Wayne

Comment

• Tarheel
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • N. Carolina

Originally posted by Bollox
            I think on Pat Warners site he is using 2 wrenches on his.

Mike
            Your right, Mike! Checked Par Warners site and he uses a 10MM wrench on the flats of the arbor.

Just need to try and find a narrow jawed 10MM or take one to the grinder!

Thanks guys!

Wayne

Comment

• MilDoc

Yeah, I have both of Pat's subbases. But, with practice, the arbor lock shouldn't be a problem either loosening or tightening. Personally, I have more problems using 2 wrenches on my larger routers!

Comment

• big tim
                • Mar 2006
                • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                • SawStop PCS

I had the same problem. I have some arthritus in my hands particularly the left thumb. I simply could not apply enough grip to hold the body of the router and press hard enough to keep the spindle lock engaged.
                I use two wrenches. I don't know where I got the little wrench but I just measured the flat on my Colt and measured 9.68mm or 0.380". So a 10mm will do. Other than that I love it!

Tim
                Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• final_t
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003

Same problem with mine, same 10mm wrench solution that I just happened to have. Seems to be a common design defect for everyone.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tarheel
                    Just need to try and find a narrow jawed 10MM or take one to the grinder!
                    Go to a bicycle shop, tell 'em you need a 10mm cone or brakeset wrench. Just what you need.

Here's one, cheap, if you can't find one locally.
                    Last edited by LarryG; 11-29-2006, 08:47 AM. Reason: Added link.
                    Larry

Comment

• Tarheel
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • N. Carolina

Originally posted by LarryG
                      Go to a bicycle shop, tell 'em you need a 10mm cone or brakeset wrench. Just what you need.

Here's one, cheap, if you can't find one locally.
                      Thanks a bunch, Larry. Took a trip to two bike shops, but found the 10mm cone wrench for six bucks and works like a dream come true!!!!!!!!

No more sore thumbs and busted knuckles tryin' to hold the router, lock button and wrench! (I made a small plywood cradle to set the router base in for bit changes.)

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Works great!

Wayne

Comment

Working...