Adhesive or Hook&Loop for ROS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gjat
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 686
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

    #1

    Adhesive or Hook&Loop for ROS?

    I got my 1st ROS sander and want to know which is better/more usefull. All I've ever had before is a palm sander and one of those big 1/3 sheet sanders I got from my Dad. I like being able to change out sheets easily, but they have clips that hold the paper. These new-fangled ROS have no clips and I don't know how big of a pain adhesive paper is. Does the stick build up on the sander pad? But does the H&L reall hold, is too 'soft', or does the adhesive hook material come off?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • 6693
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

    #2
    The H&L really, really holds. And unlike the PSA discs, you can peel one off and put it back on later if it's not completely used up.
    Larry

    Comment

    • jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • 1149
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

      #3
      Larry is right. I have a Bosch ROS that uses the H&L discs, and I frequently can use then several times. Never had any trouble with it coming off, and the sander has gotten a good bit of use.

      Jim

      Comment

      • Tequila
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 684
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

        #4
        I have a PC ROS with H&L. Very easy to change out the pads, and it feels very secure once you've stuck it on. The H&L does really hold.
        -Joe

        Comment

        • Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • 441
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

          #5
          Hook and loop is the only way to go for a ROS. Quick change, the ability to swap sheets to quickly and easily swap sheet. I've only had to replace a pad once in many years of almost daily use.
          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

          Comment

          • Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 3281
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

            #6
            I have a DW ROS with H&L and couldn't be happier. It is great to pop off a pad and just slap another one on.
            Dick

            http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

            Comment

            • WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 167
              • Dayton, OH

              #7
              H&L is the only way to go. PSA does not hold well, IMO, and wastes disks--you never use up a disk before you need to change grits. I keep a stack of nearly-new disks by my workbench in the various grits, and it's easy to swap them off and on as needed.


              Kim
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

              Wood Butcher

              Comment

              • John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • 2034
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

                #8
                Hook and Loop all the way.
                John Hunter

                Comment

                • MilDoc

                  #9
                  Have to agree with all the above. One other thing about PSA disks - never leave them on the sander when you're done. The adhesive bonds stronger over time and will ruin the pad.

                  Comment

                  • LYU370
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 215
                    • Streamwood, IL.

                    #10
                    Yep, I did that ONCE. Was almost impossible to get the disk off. One thing that helps is to turn it on an sand something for a while. It'll heat up the glue a bit a let you get it off. I then went out and got an adhesive H&L pad for the sander. Just got a new Dewalt ROS, you guessed it, hook & loop.
                    Andy

                    Comment

                    • Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 10490
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

                      #11
                      My PC332 came a PSA pad. I also have a H&L pad for it. Thinking of asking Santa for a 2nd ROS and it will be H&L. I am convert.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

                      Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

                      Comment

                      • cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 2812
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

                        #12
                        I'll go with the group, H&L for me!

                        I've got both the Ryobi 5" and the Ridgid 5" ROS. The Ryobi is supplied with a base for PSA disk and you can use the supplied H&L conversion pad with it. The Ridgid comes with both H&L and PSA bases that mount with screws.

                        I started out with H&L pads on the Ryobi and one day ran out of discs. So I used one of the PSA discs that came with the tool. What a pain in the butt that was. Now I keep a good stock of H&L pads. Much easier to change pads, never any slipping, and certainly no fouling of the base that can happen when you use those PSA discs. It's also an easy task to quickly change to a lighter grit when you are progressing through a project.

                        CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

                        Comment

                        • cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • 15216
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

                          #13
                          Originally posted by MilDoc
                          Have to agree with all the above. One other thing about PSA disks - never leave them on the sander when you're done. The adhesive bonds stronger over time and will ruin the pad.
                          In addition to that, the PSA is not as padded as H&L. The disk being glued to the pad is stiffer. I've had particles get stuck under them and cause a scratch effect on the work. It seems the velcro type combination for H &L is more cushioned and easier to control.



                          "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

                          Comment

                          Working...