• Show
Clear All
  • Rolly
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Titusville, Florida, USA.
    • BT3100

Belt Sander Recommendations

I'm in the market for a belt sander, variable speed - 3x21. I just returned a $99 craftsman because of the extremely poor tracking. I've got a few projects I need to make and find it is easier to buy then rent. I'm a hobbyist and want something reliable. Based on your experience with belt sanders what is a good product to buy? I appreciate your recommendations!
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Porter Cable VS352! The best balanced sander I have ever used. Heavy enough to not need pressure on horizontal surfaces and still light enough that it won't wear you out on verticle areas.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• jseklund
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

I am going to second Pappy's recommendation on the Porter Cable, even though I have never owned or really used one. I have picked it up in the store though, and it does seem well balanced.

I have a Dewalt 432- this is a great sander. I think it is even better balanced than the porter cable to be honest. It does a great job, when you are using it. The reason I wouldn't recommend this one is because I got it about a year and a half ago and it died after less than 10 hours of use. It took 5 weeks to get a replacement from Dewalt. No smoke, no noise, just picked it up and it was dead.

I've asked around and read reviews and the Dewalt seems to die a lot. The Porter Cable gets great reviews from people I know, including contractors, and they haven't told me it's died on them unnaturally. They all rave about its balance. Like I said, I think the Dewalt has better balance, but that does no good if it doesn't turn on. Maybe if I used the PC I'd learn that I was wrong. Either way, I'd go with the PC if I had to do it over again.
      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• steve-u
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Bartlett, Ill.
        • Ryobi BT 3100

Makita has a good reputation for sanders and the 9903 could be a good choice for your needs. Toolking currently has a great deal on factory reconditioned ones [$108 shipped] that usually look like new and have full warranty. I have bought two factory recon Makita tools from Toolking that looked like new. These recon tools are usually ones that customers return for any reason after buying usually within thirty day return policy of the big retailers.

Steve

http://www.toolking.com/category/pro...roductid=20838

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9903-3-...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

My .02: the Bosch is one of the best BS's for cabinetmaking. Its "square" design makes it easy to line up, can clamp to a table for a stationary sander, very precise compared to other BS's. I have used the PC, which I found very good also, but the compact size of the Bosch is a benefit IMO.

I find the Bosch very good for flattening up surfaces, cleaning up dovetails, etc.--really use it almost like a handplane.

The Ryobi "Bosch clone" is also highly rated as a best buy by many WW magazines.

The only downside for the Bosch, other than price, (it's more expensive than many others) is it's not as rapid at stock removal. So, if you want to remove a dozen coats of old paint get a larger and more powerful BS. But, for precision WWing, the Bosch is great.
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Other than PC, the only belt sander I ever bought was a Makita. The mere shape of it was impressive, being low and flat. But, it didn't last. I think I took her out in a month or so.

I've been using PC 361's and PC 362's for most of my career. I guess my situation might be different than a hobbyist as I might be using one for a few hours on a daily basis. I would probably qualify as a "professional tester". I don't really know what they weigh, but in the beginning of my belt sanding days, swinging that thing around with one hand was no problem. It's heavy as heck. I would also say it added to my carpel tunnel and tendonitis problems as a contributor in the isometric stresses I put myself through.

Back to what I'm supposed to be talking about. I can only rave about the PC. The only real failures are what got worn out due to use. Like the replaceable sheet metal platen that backs up the belt over the cork pad. I have worn those down to almost see through thickness. And the only other worn parts include switches. Now I can't complain much about the switch. There are times that I dress the edges of glass shelves (I cut my own). I use a silicon carbide belt and have to run the sander slow, so the switch is just bumped to keep the belt going. Believe it or not, those switches last a looooooong time.

To end this run on answer I will say that the PC 361 will absolutely beat any Makita in a belt sander drag race.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

FWIW, FWW has the Ryobi variable speed 3x21 belt sander in their $5000 shop article. I've had a Craftsman for over 20 years but I don't use one much. I generally use a plane or router to trim edges. I worked in a custom furntiture shop for a few years and we used them a lot; might be why I don't anymore.
              YMMV,
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                FWIW, FWW has the Ryobi variable speed 3x21 belt sander in their $5000 shop article. I've had a Craftsman for over 20 years but I don't use one much. I generally use a plane or router to trim edges. I worked in a custom furntiture shop for a few years and we used them a lot; might be why I don't anymore.
                YMMV,
                DP
                I'd HATE to see the 3"x21" belt sander that was OVERR $5000.00
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Sawatzky
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • CA
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I have a Craftsman 3x21 inch that I have been quite happy with. The tracking does take a lot of adjusting, but once you get used to usingit, it works quiet well. It is by no means the quality of a PC, but is no where near that price either. For the $60.00 that I got it for on sale, it works well for me.

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

No one has mentioned the Hitachi SB75, so I'll throw in that I just picked one up. Reasonably good price to performance ratio I feel.
                    From the NW corner of Montana.
                    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

I recommend that you check out the heavydutytool.net tool special Black Friday 8:00 AM.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=25230

Two Bosch sanders 3" = $50, 4" = $100. Great deals.

Comment

• lrr
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Fort Collins, Colorado
                        • Ryobi BT-3100

I just bought a Ridgid belt sander. I was impressed by its heft, and it is very comfortable. I also liked that it is variable speed, and has a soft start so it does not jump. It came with a free 1/4 sheet pad sander, and a nice tool bag, too. I bought the Ridgid oscillating sander at the same time (has both a spindle and a belt attachment).

I seem to be on a Ridgid kick lately, bought their miter saw a few months ago, along with a 15 ga. air nailer. I've owned a Ridgid jointer for 3 years, and it is a nice machine (same as the 6" Craftsman -- I think they both are from the old Emerson factory that used to make so many of the classic Craftsman power tools).

Tomorrow I'm off to get the Ridged router combo -- its on sale, and HD just sent out 10% off coupons ...

This router has gotten really good reviews, and is Porter-Cable compatible -- same base and apparently same accesories fit.
                        Lee

Comment

Working...