X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Folding Utility Knife

At a recent three-day trade show, at which I was a demonstrator, I went along to the Bessey stand to see if they had any new developments on offer. Every show I attend seems to result in my taking a pair of clamps home, but not this time - I took a knife instead.

We've had retractable utility knives for ages, but they're still a bit much for carrying in the pocket. I don't like those "snap-off" blades, preferring the "Stanley" type double-sided blades, which I've got loads of.

I was really pleased to see Bessey's version. Have a look here if you're not already aware of it.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have seen several versions of that type from various companies, and it's about time. I, too prefer the Stanley's, but as you mentioned, they're big, and the retractable ones always seem to retract when I am using them. I like the fixed ones, too, but they are a bit rough on pockets (and legs).

I need to pick one up. I really like the quick change feature, also.
    Joe

Comment

• mpauly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • NJ

Not sure if those are new in your neck of the woods, but we've had those on this side of the pond for a few years. I picked up a couple on amazon a year or so ago when they had one of those 'buy two and save' deals when you bought some other items. Though mine have a metal body, they are slim fit in your pocket easily, easy blade changes and the locking mechanism is solid. The last two features I think make these much safer as with the easy change feature you are more inclined to keep a sharp blade in there (everyone knows a sharp blade is safer) and the locking mechanism keeps things secure. I love mine.

Even if you have to pay the full $8 or so, they are worth it. Just curious, what's the Bessey version go for?

Michael

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I have one made by Husky. It doesn't have the blade storage or the thumb press. It's nice, but glade to see that Bessey took it a bit further.
        I was in Lowe's the other day and noticed that Bessey is now into the cheap clamp business. I gotta say though that even Bessey's cheap clamp are a few notches above the competition.
        I probably have about two dozen K bodies and Tradesmans and these are all I ever use. I have some cheaap ones, some nicer Record clamps and even some quick grips, but rarely use anything but the Bessey's. I'll have to keep my eyes open of one of these.
        Thanks Ray.
        Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

That's a great tool, and I call it that. I've used the Stanley since before there was history. Unscrewing the storage screw, and dropping all the blades on the floor gets to be a headache. And no belt clip. Every tool should have a belt clip, even table saws.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by mpauly
            Just curious, what's the Bessey version go for?
            I was surprised to see the knife because it doesn't feature in the current downloadable UK catalogue. Regarding price, here's a link to Coastal Tool's site.

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I've been using a Husky knife like that for about 2 years. I like the fact the husky doesn't have the added bulk of the extra blade holder.

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

folding utility knife.......

Ray, looks as if you got a good knife there....I have (2) of them...(1) is
                a Sheffield brand, (2) Husky brand ...probably from (s)Lowe's ...both were
                presents from son-in-law and a buddy of mine. Only gripe about them is they
                are a little heavy and bulky to carry around all the time...other than that they
                are good knives for their intended purpose I think. eezlock

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Got o get me one of those, all those cheap HD knives appear to have mechanisms that fail in a hurry.

But it looks to me that the transparent edge protector would get lost in a hurry.

Comment

• linear
                    • May 2004
                    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a Sheffield one, bought at tractor supply. From what I can tell, the Husky and HF versions are the same tool.
                    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• sacherjj
                      Not Your Average Joe
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I've purchased two of those over the last year. After using them for a while, I switched back to the standard slide out type knife. I just find it safer and quicker to use. Must be memory going back to my knife use for opening boxes at Office Depot in High School, years ago. That is a nice upgrade on this knife, however.
                      Joe Sacher

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

For a pocket knife, it appears to be decent. Depending on what you do with it (how deep you cut).

For the shop, lately I have been using my Nack Knife (Tim Allen series, gift a few years back). Some day, I will find the metal version.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tbarn
                          Established Member
                          • Jun 2004
                          • PA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I got one a few leaers ago from lowes, the shetfield one.
                          It is great, I use it all the time a work.
                          It has a very sturdy feel.
                          The only thing I don't like is that sometimes depending on how you hold your fingers you can flip the blade release catch open.
                          Besides that I find that it work every bit as heavy duty as an old style one.

Comment

• onedash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • Maryland
                            • Craftsman 22124

I got this craftsman one last year I think. I think I got it for $5. I like it.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfjg.0
                            YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...