• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I was a bit surprised to see it, too. Been so long ago I had to open it to see what it was about.

Originally posted by phi1l
    If you really want that saw top shiny, the first step after having any oxides reduced electrolytically, should be buffing with a a cotton buffing wheel & polishing rouge. When you are done with that you should be able to see your reflection in the top. Then put on a protective layer of a microcrystalline paraffin based wax.
    But as long as you were getting it electrolytically cleaned, I would have checked into how much it would have cost to have it nickel plated as well
    Didn't have it done. Electroysis is a simple process to do at home.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• paulstenlund
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Puget Island, Wa.

I'd like to learn more about electrolysis, I've got a lot of rusty stuff from the house fire, is there a place to get plans for a home unit?

Thanks
      Paul

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by paulstenlund
        I'd like to learn more about electrolysis, I've got a lot of rusty stuff from the house fire, is there a place to get plans for a home unit?

Thanks
        Paul
        It's pretty easy. I did it on a a couple old Number 7's, and an 8 planes this summer. I first saw the idea in this thread: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=47853

A google search on electrolysis will give you a bunch of links. I ended up using a couple lengths of rebar, a large plastic storage container, and my battery charger. I used some sodium carbonate I got at HD in the pool supplies.
        Last edited by pelligrini; 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM.
        Erik

Comment

• schloff
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Southern Middle TN
          • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Guys, not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever used a cold gun blueing process on their tool tops?

I have a newer Powermatic table saw and a pretty old Parks band saw that I'd like to keep in nice condition with minimal effort.

This would permenently render the iron rustproof, and be not nearly as tempermental to moisture. It would make the tops almost black, but so what?

Just bouncing teh question off you fellers. Heck, I don't even know if it would work on an iron top. I know what it does to steel, and have had very good luck with it.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

From what I understand, bluing is not very rugged. If your tools are going to sit over in the corner & mostly just looked at, you might consider bluing. But you can expect it to be worn off quickly if the they are used often.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel%29

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by paulstenlund

Thanks
              Paul
              Click on the webshots link in my signature line. The plane rehab album explains the process.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• paulstenlund
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Puget Island, Wa.

Few more questions for the experienced:

What solution of sodium carbonate (x cups per gal, teaspns)

I would think it is an outside job due to the hydrogen/oxygen

Thanks
                Paul

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

The gas emmission is minimal. I do smaller parts in a plastic tub inside. Larger parts I are done outside simply to make it easier to empty and clean up the tank. The used water looks nasty but is safe to the environment.

Using straight sodium carbonate I mixed about 1/4 cup in a 15 gal tank. If you arfe using Arm & Hammer Washing Soda you would need more.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• paulstenlund
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Puget Island, Wa.

Stopped by HD at lunch, no Na carbonate, only pond supplies. Lowes web site shows AquaChem shock treatment, is that it? Do you have a brand name?
                    I'd like to get this going this weekend and I live 30 miles from town.

Thanks
                    Paul

Comment

Working...