• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

When to get a cabinet saw??

I have a BT3100, and like it a lot, but I also have an opportunity to get a PM2000 at one **** of a price. The question here is when do you feel that you are ready (worthy?) to upgrade to such a tool. Even though the price is great, it's still an expensive tool!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

Everything I have read about the Powermatic PM2000 has been positive. It has a true riving knife, and a 3 HP motor. I would say, that if you can get it for a steal, go for it.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Keith - There's a couple of ways to look at it.

1) You're ready whenever you want one and can afford it, regardless of how satisfied you are with your current saw.

2) You're ready when what you have is hindering progress or is dissatisfying to you for whatever reason.

If you think you're looking at a once in lifetime opportunity, I'd absolutely jump all over it. Good luck!
      Last edited by Knottscott; 11-14-2006, 09:11 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Howard
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Plano, Tx.
        • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Please define what a **** of a price is. I may want one too!
        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• ChrisD
          • Dec 2004
          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Keith, congrats on this potential deal. If you had to use a four-asterisk word, it must be good!

My perspective on this will not be worth much, as other than my jointer (went from a bench to a floor model), I have not upgraded anything else major.

My upgrades and purchases follow pretty much the same pattern: they are mostly driven by the need to work more efficiently and more effectively. Of course, the rationale for the exceptions can be very subjective (beauty of the tool, how much better I look when I'm standing next to it, etc.)

That said: If I want (as opposed to need) a tool, I don't need to be convinced that I deserve it for me to buy it. If the emotion does not fall under the "must-have" category, then there is no need to justify the purchase.

The benefits of upgrading to a PM2000 should be obvious, though. Whether the new features will impact your work or whether it is even relevant is entirely up to you.

The question I find myself asking a lot more often than "Am I worthy?" is "Do I really want it?" To answer the question, I set a pic of the tool as my desktop wallpaper at work. If I still want it after staring at it for a whole week, then it's destiny: it will be mine.

Right now, my wallpaper is a Mazda CX-7...
          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm with Chris. I've become much less of an impulse buyer than I was in my younger days, but even so Because I Want One generally remains the only justification I need.

And regarding wallpaper ... http://www.hfalex.it/1098.htm
            Larry

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LarryG
              I'm with Chris. I've become much less of an impulse buyer than I was in my younger days, but even so Because I Want One generally remains the only justification I need.

And regarding wallpaper ... http://www.hfalex.it/1098.htm

....sweet potato pie! Looks fast just parked!
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Al Garay
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2003
                • Seattle, WA, USA.

You are always worthy of an upgrade and so is your spouce.

There's such a strong infatuation with the Sawstop that there should be good deals on used cabinet saws as their owners use the safety argument to get spousal approval.

Comment

• ChrisD
                  • Dec 2004
                  • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                  ....sweet potato pie! Looks fast just parked!
                  Holy mother of sweet potato pie!
                  The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• MBG
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Chicago, Illinois.
                    • Craftsman 21829

I think you are ready to upgrade your BT when you you do something like this:

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

While BT is an amazing saw, a true cabinet saw is just something else. I actually have an eye on Grizzly 1023SLX.

When to upgrade: I'd say if there is an essential tool you don't have yet, new tool gets priority. I am not saying get every tool possible before upgrading, just the ones you know you really can use.

However, if a real killer deal comes along, and you have shop space to accomodate it, and you know that eventually you WILL upgrade - I say go for it.

Comment

• Popeye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Woodbine, Ga
                        • Grizzly 1023SL

Life is short. If you want it, can afford it and will use it then buy it. Pat
                        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

If you are getting a killer deal I don't see how you can pass it up. As noted it is a killer saw, only being surpased by the SawStop and some much more expensive Euro saws. If you choose to pass it up let me know . . . .

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by drumpriest
                            I have a BT3100, and like it a lot, but I also have an opportunity to get a PM2000 at one **** of a price. The question here is when do you feel that you are ready (worthy?) to upgrade to such a tool. Even though the price is great, it's still an expensive tool!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
                            I think you should stick with the BT3100. Has it not proved to be a faithful servant, and continues to give you sawing satisfaction?

Also, please forward on the information to me about the deal on the Powermatic.

Lee

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Well all, I pulled the trigger on the PM2000. It'll be here in a couple of weeks, my bt is up for sale, and I'll be parting it out this week. The deal was so good that I bought the 50" version even though I havn't the space. I may well have to cut the rails shorter.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...