• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

New Old Tool (Gloat?)

My dad left a box of stuff at a friends house for me.
    Turns out there is a very old wood plane.
    About 12-15" long, 2" thick and 3-4" wide.
    Wood in decent shape, iron needs TLC but is complete.
    There is no name on it except my GG Grandfather initials. He did a lot of WW in 1904-.
    It certainly looks to me like Stanley iron on top.
    I will post pics when I get home.
    Would like some opinions of what to do and how far to take the restoration considering I will never sell it.
    Also got an old carving knife of some kind and a huge "spokeshave" type unit, possibly log peeler.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • jdschulteis
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Gloat or no gloat, congratulations on getting such an heirloom.

For lots of information on these planes, try http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm.

My understanding is that collectors prefer the existing "patina" to an overly restored look. Then again, the owner's mark, the very thing that gives it sentimental value, also diminishes the collectible value. Since you're not going to sell it (I wouldn't either!), I guess it doesn't matter.

My opinion is to put a stop to any rusting, clean it a bit if it's grimy, and put it on display in the shop as an inspiration. Or were you thinking about restoring it to useable condition?
    Jerry

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Are the initials written on or engraved, on the wood or metal? If engraved shallow, or deep?

If you want to restore it to display, you might want to display it in the house somewhere, more people can see it. Just a thought.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jdschulteis
        Gloat or no gloat, congratulations on getting such an heirloom.

For lots of information on these planes, try http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm.

My understanding is that collectors prefer the existing "patina" to an overly restored look. Then again, the owner's mark, the very thing that gives it sentimental value, also diminishes the collectible value. Since you're not going to sell it (I wouldn't either!), I guess it doesn't matter.

My opinion is to put a stop to any rusting, clean it a bit if it's grimy, and put it on display in the shop as an inspiration. Or were you thinking about restoring it to useable condition?
        Thanks for the link.
        Closest I can figure it is a #29 which means transitional becasue I also appear to have the "scavenged" iron.
        TheRic,
        The initials are actually carved into the side. They didn't want to show up on a picture.
        Attached Files
        Brian

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

One more picture
          Attached Files
          Brian

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

So are you going to restore it to display it, or use it? If for display, some like the USED look, others like the LIKE NEW look.

If for use, it would probably need a lot more work than for display.

If for display I would do a light, but needed restore. Stop the rust, clean off the dirt, oil, grime, etc. Leave the blade unsharpened, and nicked. Or slightly sharpen it. Don't want it scary sharp if it's for display, someone could get hurt with it. Leave the dents, scratches, etc. (specially the initials!!) in the wood.

Just my opinion since you asked.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by TheRic
              So are you going to restore it to display it, or use it?
              Definitely not for permanent use. for now I think just enough cleanup to stop further deterioration.
              I would someday, possibly, maybe, like to say I made something with each of his tools and probably carve his initials in it next to mine. Someday.
              I'm not a big hand tool guy.
              I think I will try Tony's Beeswax cleaner and see how that looks.
              Brian

Comment

Working...