Need Help On TS Selection

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MBG
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2003
    • 945
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

    #1

    Need Help On TS Selection

    My first TS was a Ryobi BT3000. I had it for about 15 years until I upgraded to a BT3100. Since the kids were getting older I have been able to spend more time woodworking and got the itch for a cabinet saw. When the Craftsman 22124 was below $600 I picked one up about a year ago. After getting past my dislikes of my new saw, because I was so attached to the BT's, I really like the stability and larger working surface of the 22124:




    Tell me if I'm nuts but I saw this TS a late '70's vintage Unisaw for sale near my house and am think of getting it and selling the 22124.



    The Uni has a 3Hp motor and a Bese fence (looks like I can easily move my wing attached router table and cabinet to the Uni) but other that that would this be an upgrade to my Craftsman?
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • 3815
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

    #2
    I've dreamed of a nice 3hp cabinet saw since I started woodworking. I like my 22124 alot for what it is, and find that it's mass and design make it feel like a larger cabinet saw in use compared to a contractor saw, but I'd definitely consider selling it for a nice Uni like that with a Biese fence. There's not much argument that the Uni is a more substantial machine. I don't know that it'll give you any additional capability, but it's nice to have the power and the industrial grade ruggedness of the construction. Since you bought your 22124 at a great price, you should be able to upgrade for very low cost.

    I actually considered going with a 1.5hp Uni last summer but decided to hold off for that 3hp dream saw if I ever make a change.

    I'd want to know why that Uni is for sale though....
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

    Comment

    • MBG
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2003
      • 945
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

      #3
      Originally posted by Dustmight

      I'd want to know why that Uni is for sale though....
      He's actually selling off his whole shop but considering parting out the TS and a G0555 BS.

      Comment

      • Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • 1848
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

        #4
        Man that's a tough one. I considered the Craftsman for a bit and then went from my BT3 to a Griz 1023. I think if you could pick up the UNI at a reasonable price you'd never have the need or want for another TS. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

        Comment

        • Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 3862
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

          #5
          If the price is right and you have the room (looks like you do), I'd go for it. The Uni looks in great shape. It has more power and mass, which will give you all the saw you should ever need.
          Waiting for the pics of the Uni in your shop, Mike! ;-D

          ken

          Comment

          • onedash
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2005
            • 1013
            • Maryland
            • Craftsman 22124

            #6
            I have the same craftsman but Paid $800. I think the only reason I would ever consider upgrading is if I was going to do serious sawing like mass producing something. Im sure in a side by side race the craftsman would loose but the biggest reason I choose the craftsman is the fence then the price and of course 110V. Since I will move at least one more time before I retire (maybe more) I want to give myself the best chance of keeping the shop running.
            I would guess if you ran miles of boards through them each day the craftsman would fail first...Thats just a guess though. I have had no problem with mine. Its about 2 years old I guess.
            YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

            Comment

            • vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • 1428
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

              #7
              What you paid for your Craftsman originally makes no difference now - you already have it. The cost of the upgrade is the difference between what you need to pay for the Uni and what you can get for the Craftsman. Also consider all the rebuilding in case your router table does not fit exactly. Is the price worth it - that is your call.
              Alex V

              Comment

              Working...