Anyone know about the Bosch Colt PR20

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kzelenakas
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • 14

    #1

    Anyone know about the Bosch Colt PR20

    Has anyone had any experience with the Bosch PR20EVSK, aka Colt, palm router? I am looking for a smaller router for lighter duty work, mostly on bandsaw boxes. I have found that my full size fixed base sometimes is too much tool for the job, is to cumbersome, gives poor visablity to the area being cut, and is just awkward at times. I was thinking that a lighter weight, more agile router would be able to have similar results with less headaches. If anyone has had experience with the Bosch Colt, good or bad, please let me know.

    Thanks

    Kevin
  • Tom Hintz
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 549
    • Concord, NC, USA.

    #2
    See the link below for my reivew of the Bosch Colt router from a while ago. (Very nice little machine)

    http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bpr20evskrvu.html

    I also recently got the Colt Installers pack that comes with a few different bases (angle base included) and am in the process of that review right now.
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

    Comment

    • rh111
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2005
      • 49
      • KS, USA.

      #3
      I have had the chance to play with the PR20evs and the PR20evsnk. Both use the same motor but the evsnk has more bases and accesories in the pack. What a nice little machine. It is very light and I thought after a little bit of time to adjust to its size it was excellent. I am looking at buying one as well, but I am holding off for the evsnk. According to the local Bosch rep, there were a few production issues early on with some of the bases and has been since corrected and are now being fully realeased. As much as I like it, I think that I am going to let them hit the stores for a little while before I purchase as they know that they can get good money on a hotly released tool and as time goes on more sales appear.
      It's all good till it's no good any more.

      Comment

      • MilDoc

        #4
        I have the PR20, love it! Light, easy to adjust, but powerful. I can't compare it to any other palm routers as it's the only one I've used, but I highly recommend it.

        Comment

        • Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 3862
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

          #5
          I was about to post a question like this, also. I 'think' I want the Colt, but I need a palm router that will take PC guide bushings. Having a clear base would be a big asset, too.
          I'm doing numerous inlays and need a smaller router, as I have said before I am 'touch challenged' and a clear base helps me keep the bushing against the template.
          So, does the Colt take PC bushings and is a clear base available.
          Not meaning to steal your thread, Keven.
          ken

          Comment

          • mpphoto
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2006
            • 13

            #6
            Add me to the list of people thinking about a Colt to add to my router collection. My favorite aftermarket bases are available for this model.

            Looks like a killer combination.

            Michael

            Comment

            • Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • 3862
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

              #7
              Originally posted by mpphoto
              Add me to the list of people thinking about a Colt to add to my router collection. My favorite aftermarket bases are available for this model.

              Looks like a killer combination.

              Michael
              Thanks Michael, that answered my concerns.
              I think the non-VS will do fine, I don't see needing VS, it's primarily for larger bits which a palm router isn't going to be turning.
              ken

              Comment

              • kzelenakas
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • 14

                #8
                Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                I was about to post a question like this, also. I 'think' I want the Colt, but I need a palm router that will take PC guide bushings. Having a clear base would be a big asset, too.
                I'm doing numerous inlays and need a smaller router, as I have said before I am 'touch challenged' and a clear base helps me keep the bushing against the template.
                So, does the Colt take PC bushings and is a clear base available.
                Not meaning to steal your thread, Keven.
                ken
                No problems, Ken.

                I'm glad others are considering this router and thanks to Michael for sharing the link for aftermarket bases. So far I haven't heard any bad feedback about this tool. I might have to jump on this sooner than later, only 54 work-shopping days til Christmas. Chop, Chop, gotta make the presents.

                Kevin

                Comment

                • MBG
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 945
                  • Chicago, Illinois.
                  • Craftsman 21829

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                  Thanks Michael, that answered my concerns.
                  I think the non-VS will do fine, I don't see needing VS, it's primarily for larger bits which a palm router isn't going to be turning.
                  ken
                  Ken - go to the Bosch web page and download the manual for the VS kit. There is a neat attachment that allows you to get into very tight spaces. This base uses a belt drive system that may require a lower set speed.

                  Comment

                  • MilDoc

                    #10
                    Originally posted by mpphoto
                    Add me to the list of people thinking about a Colt to add to my router collection. My favorite aftermarket bases are available for this model.

                    Looks like a killer combination.

                    Michael

                    Yup ... bought those bases for my Colt and they are wonderful! Highly recommended!

                    Comment

                    • MBG
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 945
                      • Chicago, Illinois.
                      • Craftsman 21829

                      #11
                      Originally posted by MilDoc
                      Yup ... bought those bases for my Colt and they are wonderful! Highly recommended!
                      Did anyone see the optional base Bosch offers for this router? It looks like the Werner base w/ the handle but it includes a dust hood.

                      Comment

                      • big tim
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 546
                        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                        • SawStop PCS

                        #12
                        I wanted to purchase the PR20EVSNK in June, but as mentioned earlier in this thread there was a problem with the offset base, so they gave me after waiting a couple of weeks the EVS version, with the rest of the attachment, other than the offset base, as separate items. With a promise to sort everything out to my satisfaction as soon as the offset base was available.
                        True to their word they called me about six weeks ago and told me they had the complete kit for me. I returned everything they had given me earlier and they gave me a complete new kit, router and all, even though I had used the router allready.
                        I purchased it because I had to do some work in my boat which would not have been possible with a full size version of a router( I have their brute, the 1619). The PR20 is easy to hold and has plenty of power.
                        The only potential drawback is the somewhat limited range of height adjustment on the unit. I had to cut a very shallow 3/4" wide dado (about 1/8"deep). The flute length on the straight bit I had was 1-1/4", I had to go actually beyond the normal range of adjustment in order to make the
                        dado. However it worked. I have no experience with other palm routers so that may be a problem with other makes as well.

                        Tim
                        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

                        Comment

                        • RHunter
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • 160
                          • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          I have the single speed model, the PR-10E. I bought it reconditioned from CPO Bosch. What a great little router!!

                          It does not take PC Templates out of the box, you need to purchase a different base plate that does. It really works out, the new base is round and larger- more stable than the square base that it comes with.

                          I have a PC 7301 trim router that I used to like until I bought the Colt.

                          I love the 2 stage height adjust. The micro adjustment is the Bomb! It makes using the PC 7315 Mini Dovetail Jig soooo much easier!

                          The PC, when you loosend up the knob to adjust the height, would knock the motor out of plumb with the motor shaft- just enough to where you would adjust the height to where you thought is was fine- and then when you tightened it up, it rose the collet up about 1/32 to 1/16. What a pain!

                          I am tempted to either sell my 7301 on ebay and get the VS Colt, or just delagate the PC to edge trimming, and getting another PR-10.
                          "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
                          "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

                          Comment

                          • Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3822
                            • York, PA, USA.
                            • 22124

                            #14
                            I have to agree with all the prior statements. This is a great little unit and I love using it. Great for throwing a little chamfer on a project or other small profile bits. Flushing triming with it is great as well. The Pat Warner base is the only way I know to get PC bushing compatibility.

                            Comment

                            • JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • 4187
                              • Lexington, SC.

                              #15
                              Nice bases but a piece of lexan costs about $10 at McMaster Carr. You can work it with normal woodworking machines. Too much cheaper and too fun to just make it myself. I do not have the colt yet but have been looking at it too. I made several bases for my PC690 using a 12x12 piece of generic lexan type plastic from McMaster Carr and am pleased with the result. I made both bases for template guides and larger hole bases for use with bigger bits. The template guide type is especially nice when using a dovetail jig (the clear base lets you see what is going on without sticking your face down underneith to get sawdust in it).

                              Jim

                              Comment

                              Working...