• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krogers
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Garden City, New York, USA.

Do I need a reciprocating saw?

I can't say I really need one, but this is more of a want. I don't due a lot of demo work. But there are always household projects that could use one. I have always debated about buying one of the cheapest corded versions to keep around for those rare moments. In another thread about a new cordless set I have wondered out loud about getting one to run with a new DD/ID set. My question is do I really need one? I know it wasn't designed as a tree pruner, but do any of you use it for that purpose? Would it damage the saw to occassionaly use it on a tree limb or two that are two big for a pair of loppers? I might be able to justify my purchase if I can tell the finance auditor that this tool falls in the landscaping maintenance category.
  • jseklund
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006

In one word- YES! haha.

I have an 18V Cordless DeWalt Reciprocating Saw. It has come in handy on too many occassions to think of. My girlfriend always laughs when I say, "Time to get the sawsall...."

I've used it for trimming up a 1 1/4" hole that a plumber put in my grandmother's sink improperly, taking a fold-out couch/bed apart (metal frame and all) so that it could be brought to the dump, cutting out dry-wall (you can get good enough with it after a little practice that you can cut almost flush to the 2X4 with only a scratch or nothing on the 2X4), cutting boards for just about everything...you name it.

I have even used it to TRY to cut through a tree that fell in a driveway during a storm after the chainsaw broke (bad fuel line). The tree was about 18-20" in diameter, not a small tree, and the saws all ALMOST made it through. It would have done the job if I had a blade long enough- but I couldn't quite get to the center of the tree with it. The motor was strong enough, the blade was doing the work, but I just couldn't reach.

I had a plumber by the other day using one. He had a corded saw. He said he would just kill the battery too fast with a cordless. This MAY be the case for him, but I think he may be suprised if he got a good one. I've used my DeWalt for 2 hours straight before on a battery. Granted, if you have heavy duty cutting to do, like downing a tree (haha), cutting through a bunch of hard wood, etc- the battery will die quickly (30 minutes or so). I have the same battery for my drill/saw- so I just swap them out and charge and I've never had a problem. The plumber also mentioned using his for trimming trees in a pinch.

In a nutshell, I like the Dewalt cordless for what I use it for. It's got TONS of power, nice balance, and gets the job done. I've tortured it and it doesn't show. The battery works fine for me, and adds a lot of convenience, but if you're using it for lots of heavy cutting, the corded may be a better choice. If you like portable and power, then go cordless.

I WOULD get one that uses the same battery as another cordless tool that you have so you can interchange batteries (they will die, it's not magic, but I've never been left in need with 2 of them). And I personally wouldn't use it for TOO much pruning of trees, but in a pinch you can get away with it.
    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

I have the Ridgid Combo pack that came with a reciprocating saw, hammer drill, impact drill, circular saw, 30 minute dual charger, 3 batteries, and best part (IMHO) a lifetime warranty. I use mine for a lot of little things all year round. I have not used it to prune trees, YET, did use it to take out some old bushes. Had an old electric one that I did use to prune trees every now and then, before I got a chainsaw. You will find that it comes in handy for many things, here and there.

I have used one to cut, pipe (copper, galvanized, pvc) of all sizes, dimensional wood of all sizes, large wire, chain, cut thru bolts, nails, used it in place of a jigsaw for bigger projects, took the top half off a 15' X 45' building (that was FUN ). With the correct blade you can cut about anything.

With a battery operated one, you will find out that the reciprocating saw will go thru the battery the quickest of all tools. You have a blade that has to change directions, move back and forth, this eats up the power. The battery in other tools just needs to get it up to speed and keep it there. (I'm sure Loring will be by shortly to correct me, or agree and give detailed info on this power consummation ).

Get plenty of blades, you will find that you will bend them quickly, if you are new to using one. As the saw blade is moving back and forth it will hit something behind what you are cutting and bend the heck out of the blade. It's easy to forget how long the blade is, and the stroke length. Before you know it, it is being rammed into something hard behind it, or in some case the object you are trying to cut.

I think your be surprised on how much you will use one, once you get one.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

You can use a recipro saw for almost anything if you have the right sized blades for it.

Yes I do have the pruning blade for mine and I have used it on shrubs that are hard to get into. It works great.

I have the 18v Ridgid.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Of course you absolutely, positively NEED a recip. saw. It's an intergral part of the man-tool arsenal. I strongly suggest that you get one that comes with a tail as they just flat out perform the tailless variety.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

My opinion is yes, but I would get a corded one. There are all kinds of blades, and if you don't use a cordless often, it's bad for the batteries. Then right when you need it you'll have to charge up.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• rcp612
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
              • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by krogers
              I might be able to justify my purchase if I can tell the finance auditor that this tool falls in the landscaping maintenance category.
              By all means YES !! While removing old, old bushes I've used mine to cut off roots deeper than I could dig beacause of thier size. It's also very good at trimming lilacs,,,especially below ground level.
              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Cabinetman: I actually have a makita corded one. It hasn't been out of the case since I got the cordless. The corded one has more power but I have extensioncorditis.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                  Cabinetman: I actually have a makita corded one. It hasn't been out of the case since I got the cordless. The corded one has more power but I have extensioncorditis.

I also have a Makita corded. I bought it almost 20yrs ago, and it's still going strong.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Probably the best value tool for me, of cost verse work performed.

I have a corded one (Dewalt), and prefer that. If I need to trim some tree limbs, I can get a long extension cord (did it, up to about 15'), and rigged it to give me just enough that if I fell off the ladder (didn't), the cord would be pulled out, and I wouldn't be going down, with a live tool and my finger on the trigger.

Gutted a bathroom. Ton's of tree and brush work (chainsaws get so rarely used, that when I need one, they are in horrible shape), cut up a sleeper sofa (put in by gramps before he added the door frames ). Cut off auto exhaust, wooden and metal fence posts, cleared out tons of scrape (made it smaller for hauling).
                    Tried my fathers cordless Homier one and my B-i-l's cordless Ryobi (wife bought it for him after he kept borrowing mine) and those, the battery life sucks, for my uses. When my brother built his house, talked to the plumber who said, he has both, and only uses the cordless one when he has to, because it doesn't last him.
                    After a friend went into a home, I was given his old Milwaukee, which I leave at dad's (so he has access to a good one). Longest blade for them that I have seen, is around 12". We have a damaged freight store that I used to buy tons of blades at, although don't see them as much anymore (other people took notice).

Might borrow a buddies, as his wife may decide it is worth the purchase, when your buddy tells your wife, about how much he "borrows" it. Best tool purchase my sister ever bought my B-i-l.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cody.h
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                      • BT3100

I have a craftsman corded one that like everyone else I've used for all kinda stuff just like everyone else but I've also used it to cut out 3 tree stumps now...2 at old house and one here when we first moved in 2 1/2 years ago. IIRC at the Borg I got a 3 pack of Skil uglystick blades...3 TPI...talk about nasty looking. They're like 10" long and I just dug a little around the stumps and jammed the blade in the ground and cut away. Even after 3 stumps I've only used 2 of them and they're still good....need 2 so you can be soaking the pitch offa one while cutting with the other.

The one I have looks the be on sale at sears for 59.99 but now has tooless blade change..woulda posted the link but its a mile long. I'd like to have the cordless 18v dewalt as I have 3 batteries trim saw drill snake light and impact driver already...maybe after I get the jigsaw...lol
                      The truth is just the truth.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        Tried my fathers cordless Homier one and my B-i-l's cordless Ryobi (wife bought it for him after he kept borrowing mine) and those, the battery life sucks, for my uses. .
                        That doesn't surprise me at all. We framed a garage addition for someone last year. The other guy I work with has the Ryobi 18v tools and I have the Ridgid 18v tools. We needed to cut the plywood out of the window openings. His Ryobi with a fresh pack managed to cut 2 sides of the one window before it died. I took the battery off my circ saw (which i was cutting the plywood with), slapped it in the zawsaw and finished cutting the 2 windows out. Then I put the pack back on the circ saw to keep cutting.

It all depends on the quality of the tools you buy. I do not expect a ryobi, skil, etc to directly compete with Ridgid, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc.

Comment

• ewingda
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Winston-Salem, NC
                          • BT3100 & SawStop 3HP

I have a corded Ryobi with a set of bosch blades. I have used it for all of the things everyone else has mentioned (demo, pruning, tree cutting, even finish work).

I perfer the corded model...I did not want to have to deal with batteries. And because I wanted somethng cheap and simple. I do not narmally do anything finsh grade with it so having a great model did not interest me.

Oh btw - if you are cutting plaster or drywall...the diamond blades are really nice. They last much longer than dewalt or bosch blades - since it is a really abrasive cut.

Thats my $0.02.

Dave
                          Dave Ewing
                          woodshop@davidewingjr.us

Comment

• broschultz
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2006

ryobi

I have a corded ryobi 6 amp which does what has to be done. I've easily gotten my money's worth out of it. Sure beats a hacksaw.

Comment

• Popeye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Woodbine, Ga
                              • Grizzly 1023SL

EVERY BOY... should be given a gift certificate for a reciprocating saw on his first birthday. I think it's "Man Law" or something Pat
                              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...