• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Makita 10" SCMS LS1013

Anybody attempted to install a laser on this mitre saw?
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

No, sorry - I just can't see the point on that saw, which is superb as it is.

Because it's a sliding saw, you can "walk" the blade along the cut line before making the cut. If it's a bevel, creep up on it.

Lasers generally throw a 2mm line, I think. I reckon that's more chance of an error there than line-walking!

Ray.
    Last edited by RayintheUK; 10-26-2006, 12:19 PM.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

This Laser Kerf is supposed to be one of the better lasers out there. Looks like they've lowered the price too.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by RayintheUK
        Lasers generally throw a 2mm line, I think.
        I'd guess that 2mm is about right, but the Delta TwinLaser system is meant to be adjusted so that the blade kerf falls precisely between the inner edges of the two lines. I can split the finest pencil line, first time, every time ...
        Larry

Comment

• Daibach
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Squamish, B.C., Canada
          • Ryobi BT3100

Laser Guide

I just installed the Irwin Laser Guide to the Makita LS1013 I bought at the tool show here in Victoria, BC, recently.
          It goes on the blade arbour with the light right beside the blade so it shows where the left side of the cut will be. It turns itself on when the blade gets up to speed and off when the blade slows down.
          The Irwin fit on the blade arbour with no trouble but I had to file the stop on the blade guard a little so the stop wouldn't rub on the edge of the guide.
          I didn't like the idea of having to have the saw running to turn it on but it has turned out to not be a problem. I can align the cut pretty well first then run the saw to see how much to fine tune it, adjust the wood if necessary, turn the saw on again and cut.
          As a previous poster said, it's not really necessary but a laser guide was the only thing I liked about the cheap piece of junk the Makita replaced, so I decided to add it.
          "Mother Nature is like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them!" The Squire-Wingfield's Follies

Comment

• eweu
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006
            • Silicon Valley, CA

Originally posted by sweensdv
            This Laser Kerf is supposed to be one of the better lasers out there. Looks like they've lowered the price too.
            I have the LaserKerf installed on a Makita LS1214F saw. I can't say that I recommend it. When you get it aligned with the blade it's dead-on accurate. The beam width matches the kerf of the saw (you have to specify when ordering).

However... The 3M double sided tape that attaches the mounting block to the saw is just squishy enough to allow it to move out of alignment ever so slightly. If your saw is permanently located, this may not be a problem. I have mine on a movable stand. (The tape has very strong adhesive, so it won't come off without a lot of effort.)

Additionally, the power cable and on/off switch require you to route wire all over your saw. The transformer is one of those bricks that hang right off the wall socket, so that's sometimes a problem.

Again, it works fine once aligned but I don't find that I can trust it to stay aligned for any length of time. If your saw never moves, it might be worth checking out.

Comment

Working...