• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isddarms
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2003
    • Rochester, MN, USA.

Best router for a router table

I'm planning on building a router table soon and would appreciate any recommendations on the best router to use with it. I'm also interested in comments regarding whether to use a router with a lift or not. TIA.
  • bigfoot
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

I have a milwaukee, non plunge in my table, I like it. There are probably better, but it has 1/2 and 1/4 collets (true 1/4 collet, not a bushing), and can be adjusted above the table. I use a remote switch, the only thing I wish it had was variable speed, but I intend to get a remove variable speed switch soon.
    The voices made me do it.

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by isddarms
      I'm planning on building a router table soon and would appreciate any recommendations on the best router to use with it. I'm also interested in comments regarding whether to use a router with a lift or not. TIA.
      For what its worth from another newbie:

I don't have room for a separate router table, so my 'table' is attached to the rails of the BT3100. I have used the Ryobi accessory table with both a Sears router and a Bosch 1617EVS. I had to drill holes for the Bosch, including one for access to the above-the-table depth control. On a scale of 1 (poor) to 5 (very good), I would rate the Sears - Ryobi combo as a 2, the Bosch - Ryobi combo would be a 3+, mainly because of the above-the-table adjustment feature and the 1/2 inch collet of the Bosch.

I very quickly felt the need to upgrade and installed a Woodpeck 18 x 22 router table top in place of the Ryobi accessory table and right-side double miter slot add-on. I also installed a JessEm RoutR-Lift FX using the Bosch motor. Now that IS a combination. On the above scale, I have to rate it a 6 (yeah, I am so impressed that I give it a 6 out of a possible 5). I only wish I had enough room for a separate router table.

My next 'upgrade' will be a dedicated router fence to replace the Ryobi fence that comes with the accessory table.

So, based on my limited experience, I vote for using a lift, variable-speed router that can use 1/2 collets and a high quality table top. I would recommend avoiding the cost of upgrading by setting up the best possible system you can afford right from the get-go.

Good luck.

Comment

• rockybrown
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006

unless you need more than 2hp i would recommend a freud ft1700vcek. it has above table adustability with auto collet lock so you can change the bit with one wrench. it also has a mail-in rebate for a free plunge base- all for only $169 at lowes. i have it and have been very happy.

rb

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by isddarms
          There is a router that has been designed specifically for table use. It also has bit CHANGING above the table, without the need for a lift of any sort. It has an easily-removeable plunge spring, to make inverted use even easier. It has micro-adjustable depth throughout the ENTIRE plunge range. It has interlocking safety features which will not allow power on during bit changing.

When used freehand, it has a unique datum-set plunge height mechanism, a rack and pinion option for plunging, as well as "free" plunging, together with excellent dust-collection.

It has variable speed and soft start and is available in two power options - 2.25HP or 3.25HP, both with a 1/2" collet. The extended base doubles as a fence and has trammel facilities (circle-cutting) built in. The smaller-rated machine has an optional through-the-table winder, although I've not seen the need to use it yet.

I wouldn't use anything else, but not only am I biased, I'm now a demonstrator for the company. I have both sizes: the larger will turn ANY bit, the smaller still has enough grunt to spin a good size panel-rasing set and whizz through a 40mm post-formed kitchen worktop.

I reviewed both machines here. The routers are made by Triton.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• ChrisD
            • Dec 2004
            • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by RayintheUK
            I wouldn't use anything else, but not only am I biased, I'm now a demonstrator for the company. Ray.
            So Ray, when are you coming to the States to demo???
            The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Freud FT-1700 is the most table friendly router I've used. It's loaded with above table features...one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, above table height lock. It also has VS, softstart, a large throat for 3-1/2" bits, and Freud is currently offering a free plunge base. Amazon has it for ~ $145 shipped right now. Sweet deal on a great table router.

My other router is a big Milwaukee 5625 which is a very good router in it's own right. Even though it has more above table features than most routers, it lacks what the FT-1700 has. I use my FT-1700 in the table more than the 5625.

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

What Ray said - and I'm NOT a demonstrator
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• isddarms
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Rochester, MN, USA.

Thanks for all the input. I had seen the Freud router advertised, but had not been looking at the Triton. I'll certainly be checking it out.

Comment

• meika123
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Advance, NC, USA.
                    • BT3000

This is what I use. Only mine is the older model of this, the FT2000E.
                    A really good router.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23561-01-200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	779790

Dave in NC
                    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have an old PC 3528(I think that's it) VS 3-1/4 HP router. To put it in my table I bought a Woodpecker RouterLift. It's an excellent lift or superb quality. I was remiss to spend the $$, but it's a good investment as far as I'm concerned. Also, I am able to bring the router far enough to the top of the table that I can do bit changes above table withour an extension or offset wrench.

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                        I wouldn't use anything else, but not only am I biased, I'm now a demonstrator for the company....
                        You last line on the link says"Please note that I have no connection with Triton Manufacturing & Design Company, other than being a very satisfied purchaser. "

So Ray my questions are:
                        1. Which one is it?
                        2. How much do they cost (in the US)
                        3. What is the BT3Central Discount???!!!!!
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by TheRic
                          You last line on the link says "Please note that I have no connection with Triton Manufacturing & Design Company, other than being a very satisfied purchaser."

So Ray my questions are:
                          1. Which one is it?
                          2. How much do they cost (in the US)
                          3. What is the BT3Central Discount???!!!!!
                          Question 1): You make a very good point TheRic - although the statement was absolutely correct when the reviews were written. The demonstrator role is a very recent appointment, which will mainly involve demonstrating their Workstation 2000, the Superjaws and the Router Table (which is where my connection with the routers will stand me in good stead).

It came as a result of the reviews on my site having been sent to the European manager. My first "gig" is at a trade show near London on the 17th. to 19th. November. I'm actually going to be demonstrating for the parent company, GMC, whose range now includes Triton products.

Thanks for pointing out the conflict, which was a genuine oversight on my part. I have now amended my Triton pages to remove the offending sentence. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Question 2): I could only perform an Internet search for current US pricing.

Question 3): Demonstrator, not salesman!

Ray.
                          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

The US price for the 2-1/2 HP one is right at $200.

JR
                            JR

Comment

Working...