X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmeyerkopf
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Bandsaw Second Thoughts

You know sometimes logic seems to escape you when emotions run high. I held in my hands an HD gift card with $211 left on it. Lets see 10" Drill Press $99 + 9" Band Saw $99 plus Tax = $209.88.

I quickly got home and opened the boxes and set them up on my new workbench. They sure look pretty all shining and new. Then I re-read all the great advice I got here before I actually bought them.

What am I really going to use the Bandsaw for? I am launching into simple furniture (bookcases, simple tables,...) The bandsaw could be used to make small curved pieces for decorations, or small cutouts for styling, ...

I didn't realize that the blade faces sideways. Don't know why I didn't know that. I figured that for some of my cutouts I could manage with the small saw but now I don't know.

I have not used the saw and still have the box. Would I be better off with a scroll saw? I have a small handheld jig saw but fashioning the small peices would be hard.

Has anyone had any use out of a 9" bandsaw? I really don't have the budget or space for a larger one right now.

As always I look forward to your comments.
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I have a 14" and I've found several uses for it besides cutting style pieces - resawing, trimming slabs of tree as a first step to turning them into useful lumber...

I'd return the Band Saw and look around for a larger one that's used. There have been deals on Craigslist in the SF Bay area under $200 for 14" saws. I think you need at least 12" to have something useful.

Having said that, I'm also looking around for a scroll saw even though I've run out of room. I think they're better for small decorative pieces than a band saw, but I've found all sorts of reasons to use my band saw that have little to do with making furniture and the like.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

In my 1 year of woodworking, the one thing i have really regretted, is buying a tool before i needed it because of some 'deal'. Because that has blocked me from buying something that i need for the project on hand.

Most recent case in point - i snagged a drill press recently, but have not used it at all in the 32 days since. i had been wanting a biscuit-joiner forever, but now have to wait. It would not be fair to my kids' education fund if i went reckless.

But that's my personal situation, YMMV. I have always thought a bandsaw would be great for resawing thicker (cheaper) stock and thus saving money. (Sigh) if wishes were horses...
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

Everywhere I see thicker wood it cost more per BF than the thinner stuff.
        So how can you save money by resawing? Understand its cheaper to resaw if you are looking at 1/4 or 3/8 etc (if you don't make mistakes) ....but to buy 8/4 and get two boards that are 4/4 it would be more wouldn't it?
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Keep the drill press and return the band saw. 9" band saws will cause you more grief than they're worth, even if you did need one immediately. Save your money for a 14" band saw; you'll be glad you did.

A scroll saw can do many things a band saw can. I use mine all the time for curved cuts on smaller pieces when I want more precision than speed. The downside to them versus a band saw is that the cutting is much slower, and you have about a 2" limit on the thickness of wood. The upside is that the cuts are much cleaner (little to no sanding) and you can do "inside" cuts.
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by onedash
            but to buy 8/4 and get two boards that are 4/4 it would be more wouldn't it?
            Yes, but if you had a nicely figured piece of wood you wanted to make into bookmatched doors, you'd want a bandsaw with good resaw capacity.

You might even do this with 4/4 wood, sliced thin and laminated to a substrate.

JR
            JR

Comment

• coach
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005
              • Forney, TX.
              • Powermatic 66

I would not waste the time with a 9" band saw. The only way to go is, at least, one of the 12" Delta, JET, or Craftsman. Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 14".

I must admit that the band saw is probably the most used saw in my shop. I just won't rip framing lumber on my cabinet saw anymore, it closes behind the blade too much.... so I use the band saw to rip 2x4 and such. I prepare all of my turning blanks on the bandsaw. I also prefer to use it when cutting plastics. I will occasionally cut curves for furniture pieces as well. It is the ONE tool that I own that my wife feels confident in using. So it gets a lot of points there. She is able to make quick, accurate cuts that she may need around the house when I'm not there.

The short story is, I wouldn't be without a band saw, and I wouldn't even consider a 9" band saw. If my shop had to be replaced, the band saw would be the first item I bought.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by onedash
                Everywhere I see thicker wood it cost more per BF than the thinner stuff.
                So how can you save money by resawing? Understand its cheaper to resaw if you are looking at 1/4 or 3/8 etc (if you don't make mistakes) ....but to buy 8/4 and get two boards that are 4/4 it would be more wouldn't it?
                Yes, you are right - i was talking of the 1/2 and 1/4 thick. I had recent need to buy Red Oak of these thickness at Lowes and it worked out to $12 and $15 per BF, compared with the $3.65/bf at the lumber-yard.

(The said lumberyard of-course flatly told me : 4/4 is the least thickness we sell).
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• mleichtle
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

I use a coping saw for small peices and cutting curves while my 9" BS sits in the corner. If you use it you'll out grow it by, oh, next week.
                  M. Leichtle
                  Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
                  Ben Franklin

Comment

• maxparot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

A small bandsaw is a very limited use tool. If decorative pieces are what use you want to put the tool towards a 16" scroll saw is a better choice for about the same investment. if you are willing to invest more a 14" bandsaw is can cut tight curves but doesn't have the ability to cut out center sections without a lead in cut. The bandsaw however does have abilities the scroll saw does not (resawing)
                    Opinions are like gas;
                    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

There were several good points made in this thread:
                      1).Band saw is an essential tool. In US table saw is considered pivotal tool in the shop. In UK - it is band saw. You probably don't need a band saw for book cases, but anything else can use it and 9" for a band saw is limiting.
                      2). Drill press is also essential tool. Again there is a debate whether bench top press is good enough or floor standing is better. I personally have 12" band saw and 14" drill press. Both floor standing.
                      3). The tool you need for the current project is always the most important. I buy tools either if I need it now or if I can get it on a super deal at least 70% off compared to buying it tomorrow. Is there anything that makes buying band saw and press today necessary?

What you did not say in your post - what else do you have in your shop? For instance - do you have a shop vac? How about a workbench? If you don't - buy some lumber and make one. What size drill press and band saw to get you will figure out when you get an actual need.
                      Last edited by vaking; 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM.
                      Alex V

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

A small bandsaw makes sense for smaller work such making models, doll house furniture, small boxes, or for smaller cuts where you want good free hand cutting control. The bandsaw is more useful than the scroll saw except for finer work or where an inside cut is required.

If you want a small bandsaw, I would look at the 10" Craftsman model. It is a well built saw for about $130.00 - $140.00 USD. Less on sale.

If you are going to make furniture, then you will regret not having a larger saw - 12" to 14" minimum.

The bandsaw seemed dangerous to me at first. However, I have come to love it as one of the quieter and safer saws I use. The table saw is scary in comparision.

Comment

• mmeyerkopf
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2006

Band Saw Second Thoughts - Revistited

OK - lets see if I can wrap up all the comments I have gotten - so far.

I currently have no direct need for the Band saw. (I do think it looks cool on my new workbench though. It is the kind of tool that few of my do-it-yourself friends have, and part of its appeal is that.)

I have a wide variety of existing tools - New HP Shop Vac, set of quick set clamps, corded and 9v cordless drill, 7 1/4" circular saw, new 10" table saw, 12" compound miter saw, hand held jig saw, reciprocating saw, many drills bits, taps, gauges of all sorts, speed square, tape measures, screwdrivers, hammers, chisels, 1 hp router (1/4 " I think), power hand planer, wrenches and the like. I have just bought a 10" Drill Press (which I know I will use) and the 9" band saw in question.

I know I should return it because:

A - I do not have an immediate need for one.
                          B - 9" will become frustrating soon
                          C - I have not yet used it

I might not return it because:

A- It looks cool on my bench
                          B- It will make my friends think I know what I am doing
                          C- It will encourage me to be more daring in my designs as I will need to justify keeping it
                          D- I don't see ever being able to justify a larger one until after I have bought a Planer and Joiner (which will mean many moons from now)

Well that's about it. I know that these are small quandaries but it does feel great to be able to think about it.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...