• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LYU370
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Streamwood, IL.

Delta 651 Mortiser opinions

Decided to make a cradle for a dear friend who's expecting and the plan I'm using has 30 square spindles. To me that means I get to buy a new tool, cause I'm not cutting 60 mortises by hand! So I was thinking of getting an attachment for my Hitachi drill press until I read several threads about mortising attachments.

So then I found this Delta 14-651 Mortiser at Amazon. $249 - $50 rebate - $25 Amazon discount = $174 plus free shipping. Good deal??? Good machine??? What do you think.

Also speaking of drill press attachments, anyone have any opinions on a drum sander attachment? I'm going to have to sand a few curved surfaces on this project.

Thanks!
    Andy
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

I have one of the HF morticers. I had to do a little work on the table and I added a longer handle for more leverage, and I bought a better set of chisels. . .. but it works well for me. I cut probably 40 mortivces with it the first time I used it on a table I built for my wife .. . . For the money I think it is a steal.
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Andy,

I've got the 14-651 and am very happy with it. I bought it from Amazon for $200, so $174 from my standpoint is a steal!

Roland Johnson wrote a good article on how to get the most out of your mortiser in FWW earlier this year. Of course, our very own Tom Hintz also has a very good article on his website, www.newwoodworker.com

The key things I learned are:
      1.) Sharpen and hone the chisels prior to use. I bought a honing cone from Rockler for a very reasonable price and it works great.
      2.) Chuck the bit with the proper clearance from the bottom of the chisel.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

Working...