• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Pappy and Jim the “Bug Man”

Trying to make a decision so thought I would get some opinions. I just acquired a Stanley #3 and by reading Patrick’s Blood and Gore site I find that this plane has a Lateral adjuster that does not have the circular disk on it. Rather it is the bent up type so that should put the plane between 1885 to 1888. The adjustment nut and the chip breaker have L. Bailey and patent dates on them. The Japanning is 70% and the wood is in good condition. I think it is interesting the right side of the plane is much thinner than the left which leads me to believe that this plane did allot of “Shooting”. Structurally the plane is in very good condition and that is good for me as I buy things to use not to look at.

My quandary is that I really love the old tools but I am trying to decide just exactly how much of a “Rehab” I want to do to this plane. I mean functionally I could sharpen and hone the blade and use it like it is. Alternatively I could do a complete restoration on it. I purchased it on Ebay for $51.00 which I am quite happy with.

So what do you guys think?

PS, Pappy this is still all your fault!
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

I would have purchased it as a relic, to be used sparingly. I would be inclined to leave as much of the history on it as possible and use it sparingly. Only when I was making a piece of the same period. I get sentimental with stuff like that. I don't want it look new, unused and lacking in history. Heck, I'd probably buy a sock for it, take it out and fondle it now and then, thinking about it's history and wondering where it has been and what it help to build.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I would clean it enough to make it functional and halt further damage. Hone it and use it sparingly, if at all.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Pappy
        I would clean it enough to make it functional and halt further damage. Hone it and use it sparingly, if at all.
        What he said.
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

Working...