Anyone processing rough lumber without a jointer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Anyone processing rough lumber without a jointer?

This question has been asked and answered in one form or another. I'd like to
    see pictures of your planer sleds for face jointing rough wood flat. A jointer is
    just so much more efficient at doing the job but it's going to be hard justifying
    yet another tool purchase when I haven't set up the ones I've already bought.

Did you find the sled to be a huge PITA in the long run?

Thanks, Paul
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Paul,
    I used a router sled on two parallel rails to plane one side and then went to the planer. I used the system on 12 10"W x 24"L ash boards with pretty good results. By "good", I mean flat enough for the planer bed. I had to go back and reprocess the routed side.
    The magazine I got the idea from suggested using a dishing bit; I just used a dado clean-out bit.
    I know Otter also used this approach but used a spiral down-cut bit.
    When I constructed the jig, I didn't shoot for a completely reusable design. I think either this method or the planer sled will have to be job-specific to some degree.
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

To answer the original question - no.

A jointer and planer are two the tools that will earn you $ in the long run. Make the plunge. Everything else will leave you wishing.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• ChrisD
        • Dec 2004
        • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Ken's right. I do have a feeling the jointer you cannot justify purchasing is much bigger than the 6" that most of us have. And it's always easy to find a nice board that's wider than your jointer!

Chris

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by ChrisD
          Ken's right. I do have a feeling the jointer you cannot justify purchasing is much bigger than the 6" that most of us have. And it's always easy to find a nice board that's wider than your jointer!
          You got that right! That 8" Grizzly is staring me down but I can't pull the
          trigger on it yet. Go big or go home is my new tool mantra but my wallet isn't
          having it.

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            Go big or go home is my new tool mantra but my wallet isn't
            having it.
            MAKE US PROUD GRASSHOPPA!!!!!!

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23990

agent's wife may even lend a hand
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• coach
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005
              • Forney, TX.
              • Powermatic 66

I wouldn't be without my jointer, and I often have to do stock wider than the 6" bed of my jointer.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

I remove the guard, joint the other half, and finish with the belt sander a little. I've had great results with boards up to 10". Then it goes through the planer fine, with a little pass on each side.

I basically think of my jointer as a 6/12" jointer. Which is fine 'cause I only have a 12" planer.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'll join the ranks of those who are singing the praises of their jointer. To me it's critical at the start of the project to begin with a straight flat stock...gives me a fighting chance! It's a blessing and a time saver.

That said, I see used jointers pretty frequently that offer alot of value ($50-$200), and could be sold later on for roughly what you paid....free rental! Maybe you could find something less critical, or even from another interest to sell to help justify the expenditure. BTDT! Last fall I sold my old turntable, stereo project kits, switches, knobs, camera, exercise bike...you name it. I cleaned up the basement and don't really miss any of the "stuff", and it freed up some cash for other things.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Imadunatic
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Barryton, Mi, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                  Last fall I sold my old turntable, stereo project kits, switches, knobs, camera, exercise bike...you name it. I cleaned up the basement and don't really miss any of the "stuff", and it freed up some cash for other things.
                  I know what you mean, I sold an ATV back in june with the stipulation that I could have 500 bux for my bandsaw, I got a bandsaw, My wife put the other 3000 in the General Fund and we were both giddy as a school girl. (really, I think I giggled when I first threw the switch on the bandsaw, lol)

Back to your original question, I agree with everybody else. A jointer or a planer is 2 tools that will actually pay you back, I cannot think of any others right off the top of my head. Plus, it gives you so many more options when buying your stock. I know I could not live without my jointer now that Ive had it, I am constantly using it, not just for processing rough sawn stock, But for squaring up shop built fences, making one edge on plywood perfectly straight before I run it through the table saw. I know its tough to convince your wallet (or SWMBO) But if you could possibly work a few extra hours, or get a commission job for your shop. (and im not talking 18th century colonial reproduction here, Just a few jobs you can make 50 bux on would do it) I'm not advising you against building the sled, but I would definitely be very proactive towards the purchase of a jointer. You will not regret it.

Kevin
                  \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• agent511
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2005
                    • Philadelphia
                    • TS3650

Originally posted by Thom2
                    MAKE US PROUD GRASSHOPPA!!!!!!

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23990

agent's wife may even lend a hand
                    Sorry, my wife only works for me!!!!
                    darksider

Comment

• ScottGolden
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006

If you can swing it go for the jointer! My jointer is 6" craftsman that I got on ebay for 115 dollars and 20 bucks in gas to pick it up. It needed a new set of blades and some TLC to get it aligned again. But I do know not how I would get any project done without it.

Being a newbie to wood working and still working on my first million, I have looked for deals on all of the tools I have. I have a pretty well equipted shop and it has run me maybe 1,000 bucks. I have also done some commision work to defray some of the costs.

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

If it's a space and/or money thing, a good jointer plane is a real handy tool. I have a Veritas and love it but it does require a little workout. Not burning any electrons though....
                        DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• onedash
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Maryland
                          • Craftsman 22124

I bought my jointer before I bought my Table saw....Well I had a really crappy POS table saw. If you can call it one. It was about $80 and was as far as you could possibly get from acurate. I had better luck with my Circular Saw.
                          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• mac_daddy
                            Forum Newbie
                            • May 2006
                            • Sugar Land, TX
                            • BT3000

Opinions on a bench jointer?

So what are everyone's feelings on a bench jointer like the Delta 37-070?

Comment

• ChrisD
                              • Dec 2004
                              • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by mac_daddy
                              So what are everyone's feelings on a bench jointer like the Delta 37-070?
                              Mac, you might want to create a new thread for this question just to make sure it gets noticed and answered.

To answer your question: I had a bench-top Craftsman jointer for two years and upgraded to a Ridgid as soon as I had the budget. Many others here have the Ridgid and, just like me, are happy with theirs.

The real limitation on a benchtop model is the max length of stock that you can run through it. It also uses a universal motor (vs an induction motor on the floor models) so it's noisier.

HTH.

Chris

Comment

Working...