• Show
Clear All
  • mrojec
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Englewood, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

Dust Control

First off--I'm new to this site but I've already gotten loads of great information. Thanks to you all.
    Which dust collection system gets good reviews from those of you using them? I guess I need to post in shop layout, as well.
    Mark
    Last edited by mrojec; 09-16-2006, 10:44 AM.
  • Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

I use the Delta 50-760 (my review at the link below) and am very happy with it. It handles everything in my shop with ease and the 1-micron filtering has done wonders for the air in the shop.
    This has become a very popular DC unit because of all that and the price. I have a live link at the end of the review that shows todays pricing, which is usually well under $300. for what you get, including super reliability, I think this is one of the better bargains out there. I hear from happy users all the time and those m=numbers seem to be growing all the time.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d50-760rvu.html
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Hi, mrojec, welcome to the site!

Dust collection gets tons of discussion here, probably because there are so many ways to solve the problem.

A lot of people have the Harbor Freight 2hp system. It provides a lot of bang for the buck, if purchased on sale. It can be used in support of a centrally plumbed hobbiest's shop, but is probably too big to be toted from tool to tool. It does, however come with casters, should you choose to go that route.

The Jet and Delta equivalents would be at least as powerful, and probably more reliable. There have been a number of problems with the power switch on the HF unit.

You can use a shopvac, hooked up to one tool at a time. Indeed, it will hook right up to a BT3K and most tools with a 2-1/4" port. I used one for a long time, and it is definitely better than nothing. They're noisy beasts, though, fill up quickly, and can be a pain to move around when you're in the middle of a big project.

A third alternative is the 1HP class of dust collector, available from the usual suspects at HF, Jet, Delta, etc. These work well, but are not powerful to run through a plumbing system, so they have the same drawback as the shopvac in needing to be moved from maching to machine.

Whichever way you go, you should plan for some sort of remote control. it can be a real bummer to get your cut all set up, fire up the table saw, and then remember you've got to walk around the back to get the DC going.

Good luck,
      JR
      JR

Comment

• steve_ma
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2005

I use my shop vac on my BT3100 and sometimes on other tools. I am planning to buy the JET AFS-1000B to filter shop air one of these days. Its probably my next purchase...

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

I guess I'm an exception- I have an Oneida 2hp commerical unit because I got tired of dealing with wood dust in my shop. I've been working wood for over 30 years and have gone from no protection to the Oneida and a Delta air filter unit. Dust collection is the last place I'd skimp on in the shop at this point in my life. Everything else can be worked around but lungs and such are hard to replace.

DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• meika123
            • Dec 2002
            • Advance, NC, USA.
            • BT3000

I use the Grizzly 1.0 hp roll-around hooked to my BT. I also built my own sysytem, like the Lee Styron unit (the great innovator on this site) hooked to centrally plumbed 4" PVC piping. Does a really good job for me. Not to mention the fun I had building it. I have my cyclone built now, except for the motor housing on top. Not had a lot of spare time lately.
            HTH,

Dave in NC
            Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

Working...