• Show
Clear All
  • offthemark
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Germantown, TN, USA.
    • BT3100

HF Tile Saw

Anyone have experience with any of the HF wet tile saws? This will be lightly used as I only have about a 8 sqft section of floor and about 32 sqft of walls to cover. Budget is the primary concern. I was thinking about this model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3733

Click image for larger version

Name:	03733.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	789452
    Mark
    --------
    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"
  • mpauly
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • NJ

What kind and size tiles are you using?

I have no experience with the HF saw, but it will probably be fine for a small job using 4x4 or similar ceramic tiles. Many people use the similar low end Workforce saw available at HD with success. If you're going to use porcelain (which is much tougher), if the motor lasts, the cheapo blade likely will not. A good porcelain blade is going to run $40 at least. Like most HF tools, these aren't built to last, but will likely survive your small job.

Also, keep in mind what pattern you will be laying and if you have to make any diagonal cuts. That table is pretty small and may make it difficult to support longer diagonal cuts.

Take a look at this site for more tiling info than you'd ever need and search for 'QEP' or 'workforce' for some threads on similar saws.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Mark,

You do not need a wet saw for most tile work. If you use marble or granite or another natural stone product, you should cut it wet because added heat and stress from dry cutting will cause it to crack along a natural fissure instead of cutting where you want. For cearmic tile, floor or wall, I have never had much of a problem with dry cutting. For straight cuts, I use a scoring machine that cracks the tile. For L shaped or other more complicated cuts, I normally use a simple right angle grinder (mine came from Northern Hydraulic) with an abrassive blade sold to cut brick and concrete block. You want to use it outside because it throws off a lot of dust but it works well if you have a steady hand. I have cut a picture frame shaped piece to mount a soap dish out of wall tile which is particularly fragile (and easy to cut). You may also want a nipper to make curved cuts and a rod saw to use to make curved cuts in wall tile (not useful in my opinion for floor tile).

You will also need toothed trowels and a float for grouting. There is enough "must haves" that I would not start with a wet saw. I have not had good luck with cheap diamond blades - that is why I use the cheap abrasive blades on my grinder. I used a friends wet saw when I did a marble counter top but otherwise have gotten by nicely with my grinder. Cutting wet also creates a mess due to the water. You have to dry the tile off before you can use it - too much trouble for me for simple stuff.

Jim

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I looked at the saw's at HD and Lowe's when I bought the tile for my bathroom. Considering the small room size, I did like Jim and did what cutting i needed with a diamond masonry blade on a 4 1/2" grinder. Around the toilet flange, I used the side of the blade like a grinder. Made a quick MDF jig to hold the tiles during the cutting. Messy, but it worked.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• foneman
          Established Member
          • Jul 2003
          • kansas, USA.

i got this one

Here is the one I have from HF and it has cut probably 100 12x12 floor tiles and never missed a lick. I think I paid approximately $55 when I got it and initially used it to cut all the tile for my daughters kitchen floor. It definitely is messy, but does a good job and there is no dust, just water. I have read where some people put the saw in a kids wading pool to contain the water. YMMV but it has paid for itself for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40315
          john

Comment

Working...