• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkel2000
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2004
    • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Stanley Plane Parts Question

I just received a Stanley/Bailey #5 I purchased from E-Bay. The plane is in very good shape for its age (1933-1941) but there were a couple of non-standard screws for the rear tote. The main screw looks to be the size for a #3 and the front screw (and washer) are obviously non-standard. The brass cap for the main screw is intact and in good shape.

My questions are these: Should the main screw be long enough to bring the top of the brass nut to the top of the tote (I'm guessing this is yes?)

What was the original front screw for the rear tote made out of? Brass or some other metal? Does someone have a picture of one they could post? I'd like to try and find a replacement locally that's a little closer to original.

Mark
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The problem you are going to run into is that the threads Stanley used weren't standard. I think Ken George can give you the exact pitch and size used. The screws were both steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s 5 rear.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	779659
    Last edited by Pappy; 08-23-2006, 05:48 AM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• mkel2000
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2004
      • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Solution Found

I believe I found a solution to my problem of replacing the plane tote screws. I pretty much confirmed what Pappy said regarding the thread sizes. On the last link I found on the subject in another forum, someone posted a link to the Stanley Tools Parts page. I found that they sell a 21-piece Spares Kit - Plane Screws and Nuts.

http://stores.stanleytools.com/Items...-702-1/10-B-02

All the screws and nuts for the plane, in both Imperial and Metric, are included for $10 (a little over $15 with shipping.) I called Stanley Customer Service and they confirmed that these will work with older planes. They have other packages available which include the tote and knob, but they are plastic and not wood ($10 for a kit with a tote, knob, brass nuts and screws for Stanley 5, 6 and 7 planes.)

I'll post again to confirm they do fit when I receive them.

Mark
      Attached Files

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Thanks for the update, good info to have

For a user plane, for us time restricted, those plastic handles are a LOT cheaper then the replacements (ROCKLER?).

If I remember right, didn't we use to have a member (Mike in Katy?) that made/sold replacement handles, that retired and was going to travel with the wife?
        Anyone else remember him? Anyone know how he is doing?
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...