• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Which vise should I purchase

The bench base I was building is done (I'll post some pictures soon). I used the solid-core door (30x80) I was using on my previous "bench" to top it off. While it would be nice to have a brand-new maple top or even a new door, I figured it would only last a few days before it was dinged and unsightly.

On to the vise, though. My previous vise is a Sears unit I purchased 25+ years ago. It does not have quick adjust. I was thinking of purchasing a new vise.

Rockler has several:
    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView....66&filter=vice

The one I was thinking of was this one:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2147

After my 15% off coupon, it should be approx. $50.

Woodcraft has both a 7" and 9":
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1893

Woodcraft's economy 9" is only $65. The cheapest one at Rockler is about $115.

I also notice that Grizzly has Shop Fox vises:
    http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/219

Again, prices right in the ball park. These vises all look like they are made in the same place.

Harbor freight has a 9" quick release for for $60:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94386

I don't know if the local store stocks them. I guess they sometimes have 20% off coupons, which would make this vise $48. But I don't know how the quality of HF stuff compares to import stuff at Rockler/Woodcraft.

Any opinions?

Finally, are tail vises only valuable for surface planing long pieces of wood? I can't figure out any other application. Seeing as I never plan to surface plane long pieces of wood I was going to skip it.

So in review: (1) Which vise to buy, and (2) Do I need a tail vise?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I splurged and got a Jorgensen 7" - the Rockler you were thinking of should do the job, I've found that 7" is enough to do what I do.
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

I bought the 9" Shop Fox and this is the cheapest place I found it. Shop Fox Vise It seems like it was about $4.00 less when I bought mine.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

They all do look about the same and I suspect you will be happy with any of them. My HF does not stock the vise in question so I would look elsewhere. I have used the big Shop Fox and it is pretty heavy duty. Mater looks like he has found you a pretty good deal as well. I would get it I believe.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have the 9" Woodcraft. It's done everything that I expect a vise to do - hold and clamp. The quick release works well, and the handle is strong enough for me to lean on it when I need a tight grip. I've added some maple scraps as pads to prevent the metal jaws from marring workpieces.

Whatever you choose, make sore to get something with a quick adjustment feature - it's so much better than spinning a handle over and over.
          -Joe

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Most of those vises are "knock-off's" of the now defunct Record vise (molds purchased by Anant in India). Just be sure it has an "acme" screw and lean on the guys that have posted for the how the cast has held up so as you can't take them for a trial run for a year. :>)

Another option it to build to suit with wide or narrow hardware you can purchase from several places. I get mine at Highland Hardware just down the road. You can custom make the jaws to fit your work style and needs.

Regards...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Woodcraft vise that you mentioned looks alot like my Record vise. I'm very happy with it....I think it's 9". I like the quick release and the dog features alot. As long as the faces mate evenly and snuggly, the castings are strong, and the screw turns smoothly, any of them should be a good vise.

I started with the $20 HF vise, but there's really no comparison even with a middle of the road model from the real McCoy's.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...