• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkel2000
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2004
    • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Router Table Top Question

I'm planning on building a router cabinet similar to the NYW one. I plan on building the top as well instead of buying a pre-made one. I've read others' posts who've built similar router cabinets and I've noticed many tops are built with two pieces of 3/4" MDF while the cabinets are made with plywood. Is there a good reason to use MDF instead of plywood for the top? I'm trying to avoid buying a sheet of MDF if I don't have to.

Mark
    Lakeside, CA.
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

MDF is normally more stable than plywood, less prone to size and shape changes due to humidity, etc. That being said two pieces of plywood fastened flat and thoroughly sealed all around should also be fine. Just be sure to use something like baltic birch and make sure it's dry before you use it. Please post pictures of your table as you work on it/finish it.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Stable, flat and cheap! Also Strong.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The MDF can be purchased at HD in 2' x 4" sheets. You don't have to buy a full 4' x 8'. 3 coats of poly which include the edges and bottom. I sometimes even mica the top and sometimes don't. It comes off the shelf within .004 flat and can be useful in many shop table tops, extentions and jigs.

Regards...
        Attached Files

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          Stable, flat and cheap! Also Strong.
          Ditto!

Also easy to laminate (3/8" on 5/8" actually 9mm on 16mm, easy to get in Oz) - click on the pic for a closer look...

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM.
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by mkel2000
            I'm trying to avoid buying a sheet of MDF if I don't have to.
            I wouldn't worry about this...as pointed out above you can buy pieces smaller than 4 x 8, but I'll also point out that you'll find many uses for any leftover pieces. For example, it can make a great fence for your router table. It's great stuff for making all kinds of jigs, stop blocks etc etc
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My router table is also similar to the NYW version. My top is a sink cutout backed by plywood. I got several of these for minimal money at a big box store several years ago. They are high density particle board with laminate already attached. I edged the sheet goods with maple mainly for appearance. If you can find a sink cutout, it will make a good top for minimal cost.

Jim

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Something that worked for me was using 3/4" malamine attached to a 1/2" piece of MDF. There are 3 pieces of the malamine to utilize the T track between. It makes for a nice slick surface. It is also available in less than 4'x8' sheets.
                Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM.
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• mkel2000
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2004
                  • Lakeside, CA, USA.

I want to thank everyone for the input. I followed the majority of the suggestions and bought a sheet of MDF along with the rest of the materials for the cabinet this afternoon.

I'm hoping to get started on it in the next week or two.

Mark

Comment

Working...