• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Any Pin Nailer Owners Out There?

I just picked up a Bostitch pinner. I tried it out and find that it only sinks the pins slightly recessed. I think this is a mechanical limit because I have adjusted the pressure up to the max. 100psi suggested and played around with the press. reg. on the gun. Also, it sinks the pins the same depth in soft pine and oak (again leading me to think there is a mechanical limit). I have a couple of brad nailers and a finish nailer and can sink the nailes deeper than this pinner.

I called CS and they said a pinner is designed to only sink the pins just below the surface - is this true or just hot air?
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have the PC pinner and was just using it last night on some outside corner moulding. It definitely has the power to sink a pin if the pressure is set too high.
    -Joe

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have the Bostitch pinner and it sinks the pins plenty deep for me. I do not run it at maximum pressure - maybe 90 psi and I also so not turn the little dial on the front all the way up. If it does not go in far enough for you, I would mess with the little dial before I changed the compressor regulator pressure. If it is set to the minimum position I can see why you might have problems with depth. It has a plus and minus sign to let you know which way is which. I have not used pins longer than 1 inch but regularly drive those well below the surface in hardwood.

Jim

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I should have also mentioned I've driven 1 inch pins through thin aluminum and 1 inch into wood. I do not think you should be having a power problem. If it is not the dial position, I would take it back.

Jim

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by MBG
          I just picked up a Bostitch pinner. I tried it out and find that it only sinks the pins slightly recessed.

I called CS and they said a pinner is designed to only sink the pins just below the surface - is this true or just hot air?
          To be clear, this is one of those 23 gauge pinners and not an 18 gauge nailer?

I would think just sinking it below the surface would be ideal for a pinner where
          if you were pinning thin stock, setting it too deep would actually go all the
          way through the material.

OTOH, I like to be able to adjust my tools as much as possible, too.

Paul

Comment

Working...