• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Looking to buy a new router!

I started out with a skill, for home construction projects (mostly roundovers, or smoothing rough edges), then I used a gift certificate, when they had a 690 series, with all the bases and table (the old store display) on liquidation. (still wish the borg was open 24 hours, it was the only time I found bargins).

I had considered the M12V, but decided against it, as this will be used as a hand router quite a bit. I am needing variable speed, decent or better dust collection, prefer soft start and as it may be transfered to the table OCCASSIONAL TO RARE, cabinet bit sets, I would prefer at least a two horse.

I need your all's experience!

Thanks
    Randal
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

My standard answer to this question.... Bosch 1617 kit.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

And my standard answer - Triton MOF001 (click for review). Hand-held - yes - perfect for dovetail jigs, etc. Variable speed - yes, stepless. Decent or better dust collection - yes. Soft start - yes. Transferred to table - 2.25HP and designed for the table, with above-table bit changing and purpose-made easily-removable plunge spring.

Ray.
      Last edited by RayintheUK; 08-07-2006, 03:19 AM.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
        • Feb 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.

Randal,
        A man on a tool quest! I envy you!
        I have reviews of several popular router kits at the link below, scroll down to Routers. Included are the Bosch 1617, PC 890 series and several others.
        I would have to go along with either the Bosch or PC kits. I use both regularly and they bring all the capabilities I need in the shop plus keep on working perfectly.
        Another point in thier favor is that most of the aftermarket accessories you might buy down the road are designed around these highly popular routers.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
        Tom Hintz
        NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Mmm, routers, my favorite tool! I only own six of the things.

The best two two-base kits out there are the Bosch 1617EVSPK (or, better yet if you can find it, the EVSPKE variant, which includes lots more accessories) and the DeWalt 618PK. I'd recommend one of these two based on your own personal preferences of the feel, ergonomics, etc. The Bosch has a few more nifty little features but the DeWalt has a slightly better plunge action, and its base will accept Porter-Cable style guide bushings directly whereas the Bosch requires an adapter or aftermarket base plate.

If you're going to do a lot of hand routing, of the above two you might like the DeWalt a little better as it is physically smaller and a bit more nimble.

The Makita RF1101 and Porter-Cable 694 kits are excellent, although both are older designs (the Makita is basically a clone of the P-C) and the kits tend to come with fewer accessories than the Bosch or DeWalt. If you could pick up either of these kits for under $140 or so, they'd be worth buying; much more than than, and the Bosch and DeWalt are better buys.

Hitachi is a newcomer to the two-base market with its KM12VC kit. Like the Makita this one is a near-identical clone of the P-C 694, and it can often be found for as little as $125 or so. However, the springs in the plunge base of this one are horribly stiff. If Hitachi would redesign this they'd have a solid contender but as it is, this model should be avoided.

If you want a fixed-base-only router, any of these (even the Hitachi) would be fine.

If you want a plunge-only router, the DeWalt 621 is the one to get. It's been around for over 20 years, having started life as an Elu, and is the model that router guru Pat Warner says he'd pick if he could own only one router. It has superb electronics and excellent dust collection.

BTW among these discussed here I own the Bosch and Makita kits, the DeWalt 621, and a DeWalt 616 which is the single-speed, fixed-base version of the 618.
          Larry

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have the Hitachi KM12VC kit. It has been selling for $140 from Rockler for the last month. I purchased mine almost 2 years ago and it has been serving me well. I don't find the plunge springs too stiff but to each his/her own. The router is variable speed with a soft start. Has a good solid feel like a well made tool should. I highly recommend it for the price it is hard to beat and performs well against the more expensive Makita and PC
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've been really happy with my new Freud FT-1700. It has all the features you requested, including a DC attachment, plus it has more above table features of any router I know of if you ever mount it. There's currently a new one on Ebay for < $140 shipped (not mine)....It's listed with a "Buy it Now" feature of $125 that will disappear when the reserve is met, then it will go to the highest bidder, and could go higher than the BIN price....food for thought.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freud-FT1700VCEK...ayphotohosting
              Last edited by Knottscott; 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Benbrook, TX.
                • Emerson-built Craftsman

Ditto the Bosch 1617. Sears sells it under the Craftsman name.

That said, I don't own one, but wish I did. I have the Makita 1101 dual base kit, which is in that same class of 2 - 2 1/4 HP dual base kits. I just wish the plunge base had an on/off trigger like my PC 7529, I hate having to take a hand off of the router during a HH cut to turn it off.

I was (and am) sorely tempted by HDTs Makita 3612c for $180, but have decided I'll wait & buy a shaper if I want a dedicated table-mounted router.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Next question

From what I am seeing, it appears most of the dust collection, is a plastic part that clips on the underside and is used for edge collection.

The Triton TRA001 has top side dust collection, (bigger Triton) does the other one?
                  Otherwise it appears only the DW621 or the PC894 series are built in top side collection. Is that accurate (don't see anything on the Bosch).
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The plunge base (only) of the DeWalt 618 kit has dust collection through one of the spring towers, basically identical to the system used on the DW621. I've not used a 618 but the DC on the 621 is so good that it is one reason this has become my "go-to" router for most handheld work. If the 618's DC is as good, that'd be a strong point in its favor.

The Makita RF1101 and Bosch 1617 both have a plastic nozzle that encloses the bit and can be connected to a shop vac hose. This is on the upper side of the base plate, toward the motor, and the outlet tube extends out through the opening in the side of the base casting. On the Makita, this nozzle can be fit to either the fixed base or the plunge base. On the Bosch ... I can't remember. I want to say that it only fits the plunge base but it may fit both. Someone else will have to confirm that. I can tell you that on both routers, these nozzles are not quite as elegant as that on the DW621 but they do work pretty well. A router is an inherently messy tool, and I find that all three of these do help limit the mess.

EDIT: Just had a look at the PDF of the Bosch's manual ... there is a dust nozzle for the fixed base, and a different one for the plunge base. The specific kit I bought, the 1617EVSPKE, included only the one for the plunge base.

Which brings up another point. Most of these router kits come in different versions, the difference being the included accessories. Always find out exactly what's in the kit because some of these little plastic parts are absurdly expensive when bought alone. Sometimes the kits from two or three different mfrs will appear to be priced almost identically but when you compare them closely and outfit them equally, the price gap can widen considerably.
                    Last edited by LarryG; 08-08-2006, 09:36 AM.
                    Larry

Comment

• bigsteel15
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Edmonton, AB
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                      From what I am seeing, it appears most of the dust collection, is a plastic part that clips on the underside and is used for edge collection.

The Triton TRA001 has top side dust collection, (bigger Triton) does the other one?
                      Yes, the "little" Triton has the same DC. This would actually be my choice for what you have described as your requirements. Features for price, I don't think you can beat it, except maybe the full feature Bosch kit if you can find it.
                      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...