ZCTP plates for anything but 90 deg cut?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

ZCTP plates for anything but 90 deg cut?

If you want to tilt the blade away from 90 degrees, can you make a ZCTP? Need a different one for each bevel angle, or just one for all? Either way, how do you do it?
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

The way I've done it in the past is to put a 7 1/4" blade of the same or close to the same kerf and cut the initial slot at the correct angle. Then put the std blade in. An alternative is to route a relief under the blank TP. That's what I did with the Griz. Both kind of a pita but .... it seems that most of the bevel cutting I do ends up being taking a small strip off and edge and the ZCTP is more important then than with a wider bevel rip. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Different one for each angle. The same would apply for dado ZCTP's. Otherwise, it wouldn't be zero clearance.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I ruined my first set of belts making a raised panel cut on the BT3100 (the cutoff dropped into the belts). I now use a ZCTP for almost all cuts. I do not think they have to be exactly the right angle or exactly zero clearance, however. I use the same plate for everything between zero and about 15 degrees. You can use one of your outside dado blades to start the cut if you main blade is also 1/8.

Jim

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

Go to t-nuts.com and buy 4 or 5 of their ZCTPs. They are still on sale and you can't beat the quality. I made one out of masonite but it didn't last long. The ones from t-nuts are well engineered, fit perfectly and you even get the screws to put them on.
          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

For it to be true zero clearance, you would need a different plate for each angle. However, I'm too cheap and too lazy. For the occassional bevel cuts, I just lay the piece to be cut on top of a sacrifical piece to reduce splintering.
            ________
            BarbiDollxx
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Does anyone else remember seeing someone post a picture, of a zctp with two cuts (one for 90 and one for 45 degrees)?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbray
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2006
                • Bedford NS
                • BT3000

A cheap easy way to do this is to mount your dado blade throat plate. Check that your blade will still clear the plate. Lower your blade below the plate and then cover the opening in duct tape. Turn on your saw and slowly raise the blade to the disired height. ZCTP at any angle.

Regards, daryl in Nova Scotia
                I never seem to make anything but saw dust.
                Daryl in Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...