• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhelfer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

trimming edge banding

Tonight, I'll be ironing-on red-oak edge banding onto plywood. Tomorrow, I'll have to trim it.

I don't have a laminate trimmer, or any other sort of tools specificaly for this task.

Can anyone suggest a trimming method that using "standard" tools that they have found to be efficient?

Thanks
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

If you're using the thin, iron-on flexible banding, there are little edge flush trimming tools made specifically for the job:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1701

I've seen them at Lowe's/HD and other places that sell the banding.

If you're using plastic laminate (grade GP50 or similar), you can use a laminate trimming bit in a regular router. The smaller "laminate trimmer" power tool is really just a small router, but a full-size one will do the job.
    Larry

Comment

• jarhead
      • May 2004
      • Boynton Beach, FL.

Fastedge trimmer

Woodcraft sells Fastedge trimmer - that should do the trick.

Comment

• jhelfer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2004
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I may have seen that tool at the HD, but my frugal alarm went off when I saw the $10 price tag.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

It's worth the $10. I got the fastedge from woodcraft, it works really well. Of course, if you're really too cheap for that, you can use a knife, I have before, still do for some corners and the like. But the edger is faster, easier, and does a better job.

Jim

Comment

• Holbren
            • Oct 2004
            • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by jarhead
            Woodcraft sells Fastedge trimmer - that should do the trick.
            That's the one I use for iron on edge banding which is all I've used. Works well.
            Brian
            Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            www.holbren.com

Comment

• Tequila
              • Aug 2004
              • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I've used the fastedge. It took a couple passes to get the hang of it, but it does work well and saves a lot of time.
              -Joe

Comment

• jyang
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2004
                • Arlington, VA, USA.

It's worth the $10. I didn't buy it and did some iron-on banding and ended up trimming it with a sharp razor. I ended up with a wavey edge on the banding. I should have stopped and gone out to buy the tool.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

OK, everybody is going to jump on me for this, but, it's the tip of the century. Truth of the matter is I have done MILES of edge trimming without the fancy shmancy little edge tools they got you fooled into buying.

I have used a router with a trim bit, but I like to stay away from hand held weights. The router bit has a tendency to gum up the hot glue. I use a mill file, like the type for filing mica. The trick is to have the file at about 5 - 10 deg to the panel. Actually it's almost flat to the panel. Lay the panel flat so the banding is verticle. Use the file's edge to shear off the overhang. When moving forward, the handle of the file will lead the front at an angle (30-45 deg) so that the edge of the file starts towards the face of the veneer not the edge or back. All of the filing should hold some angle. So to recap, the file has a slight angle to the panel and to the banding. When it's sheared off, go back over the edge to smooth to your desired taste. When starting into the banding you're actually breaking it off (shearing) with fairly short quick strokes. I find with those little edge tools, they can grab the grain and tear (especially oak or ash). Doing edges this way is fast and foolproof.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Ripsaw
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Calgary, Canada.

What Cabinetman said.

A buddy of mine is a cabinetmaker and was always in need of weekend help.
                    Edging is really quite simple using a file, and I have done miles of it.

I bought an edge cutter when I used experience gained from working with my friend to do some work on the side for my employer.

Of course I put it on my employers account along with several other goodies. everyone wins!

The edge cutter is faster, but I think using a file gives a better edge. With a file you get a bevel that is less likely to catch at some point causing a tear.
                    Last edited by Ripsaw; 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • League City, Tx, USA.
                      • BT3100

I haven't seen anyone suggest a chisel and am curious as to why not.

Comment

• jabe
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Hilo, Hawaii
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I use Virutex edger & End Trimmer, a sharp chisel, file & sanding block. Sometimes I'll use a utility knife & file. After using the edger, I use the chisel to remove any of the glue which oozes out onto the surface. Whichever tool I use, I always file & lightly sand to give it a smooth edge. Fastedge is cheaper than the Virutex and works just as well.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

I use a knife, a file, and sandpaper. Works well.
                          Alex

Comment

Working...