• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Ridgid Spindle Sander Problem?

I know a handful of guys on here have this sander. I just picked one up yesterday. Put it together tonight and started it up. I noticed there is a lot of vibration on the down stroke of the spindle. I thought it was the spindle or the belt so I tried running it without anything on the shaft. It still made a noticable vibrating noise on the down stroke. Is this normal? I expected it to be much smoother/quieter, maybe I'm expecting too much? Do I need to exchange it?

Thanks!
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

You may need to exchange it. I don't notice a horrible amount from mine, even compared to the Delta BOSS or the Jet, and they are cast iron.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

I just ran mine and I don't see noticeable vibration in it. I would exchange it.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Exchange for sure. These are fairly quiet and pretty smooth when operating. Any vibration will wear the bearings fast. The oscilating mechanism is contatined in the motor housing. Not many user servicable parts on that.
        Lee

Comment

• just4funsies
          • Dec 2005
          • Florida.
          • BT3000

Mine did that, right out of the box. Took it back straightaway, and the replacement works fine.
          ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• ryan.s
            • Feb 2006
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

I must have bad luck or the tolerance on these things aren't what they used to be. I returned the first one and exchanged it. Out of the box the vibration wasn't nearly as bad as the first but couldn't get the table to sit flush. There was a twist or bow in it so when adjusted flush and square on one end the other end would come up. Tried adjusting the set screws and everything else but didnt' work. Was gonna give it another try with another exchange but they didn't have any more in stock. I took it as a sign to give up on it. I know there are a lot of happy owners out there, unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Comment

Working...