• Show
Clear All
  • Lance
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Haverhill, MA, USA.

Bosch vs. Bosch

To all the Bosch jigsaw owners:

I am planning to get either the 1587 or the 1590 (or one of the barrel styles) in the next few months. I figure this is going ot have to handle any curve cutting I do for the next 1-2 years, or until I get a big raise and the CFO allows a bandsaw purchase. I mostly plan ot do small to medium furniture projects, such as a PB-inspired mudroom bench, a shaker inspired hall/sofa table, etc.

1. How much better is the 1590 vs the 1587? $10 $20? $40
    2. Are there any downsides to the new and "improved" version as opposed to the tried and true 1587?

Interested in any opinions, and especially if you've tried both!

Thanks!
    -Lance
    Ex-Armchair Woodworker and newb galoot.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

I had a Dewalt with the same type of blade holder as the 1587, hated it, hated it, hated it.
    Bought the Bosch 1590 when someone had a deal on them about this time last year. I've never had a better hand held power tool. So smooth and vibration free that I can cut reasonably well left handed. I use it all the time. You just can 't beat it. If there is a down side it's that it only used the "t" shaped blades and my local hardware doesn't carry them. I just stock up when I'm out. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

The 1590 series has all the new features and is well worth the money. Both the top strap or barrel grip in the new version have the new features, including the best blade changing going.
      I have reviews with photos and details on the features on most of the Bosch models at the link below, scroll down to JigSaws.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the 1587, and I don't HATE the blade changing mechanism, but it could certainly be better. The 1590 is more powerful, better blade change, and has the little arms for helping stop deflection.

That said, I consistently get no deflection cuts in hardwood out of my 1587 without troubles, so I'm happy.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

I agree with Keith. I'd add that I usually just insert, use, and remove a single blade in a session with the jigsaw, making two uses of the blade changing mechanism. Even if it takes twice as long with the 1587, it's only an extra couple seconds. Hardly a significant factor in choosing the saw. Now, if we were talking about speed and convenience in changing drill bits (e.g., hand tightening versus having to use a key), which I do repeatedly when using the drill, it might be a different matter.
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Luckbox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Holly Springs, NC

I have the 1590. I had a cheap skill jig saw at first and after using the 1590 I wouldn't even call the skill a jig saw. I have cut through two sheets of 3/4 ply with zero deflection. Very powerfull, blade change is a snap, and very little to no vibration. It is amazing how smooth it is.
            I love lamp.

Comment

• Deadhead
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
              • BT3100

I have the 1591EVSK and it is a pleasure to use.

I bought it knowing it could possibly be the only jigsaw I'd buy. Blade changing is a breeze. I really like the barrel grip for curve cuts or for when I'm using it on a full 4'x8' sheet of whatever and can't always be behind and above the tool.

I waited many months for a good deal to come along on Amazon and it was worth the wait.
              "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

CPOTOOLS has the factory recon of the 1590 for $108 till the end of July

http://cpotools.com/nl/nl20060725.html?ref=nl20060725

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

My company purchased me the Bosch 1584 barrel grip at my request about 4 years ago to build over 100' of round show-room counter that required MDF templates for the tops. I never had much faith in a jig-saw till I got the Bosch barrel grip in my hands. The barrel gives me more control as I see it and the saw has preformed flawlessly.

If the newer (new and improved versions) are better than the old, more power to anyone that gets one as the older one will be with me for a long time!

SARGE..

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

I have the 1587 but if I were purchasing one it would be the 1590.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a craftsman clone of 1587 and it works fine for me. Craftsman recently cleared them out, if you can still find one - you might be able to get it for under $60. Don't have 1590 - cannot compare. Another consideration - I have a 12" band saw that I bought used for $150. That is probably not far from what you will pay for 1590 nowdays. Between the band saw and jig saw - band saw cuts better curves. Band saw is a woodworking tool while jig saw is mostly for carpentry. Which one to buy for similar money depends on what types of projects you expect to make. Think about it.
                      Alex V

Comment

Working...