• Show
Clear All
  • AZ Tom
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Murrieta, CA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Radial Arm Saw Question

I just picked up a used 10" radial arm saw for a fencing project (as soon as the weather cools a bit), and now have a couple of questions. I would like to use this thing for cross cutting rough wide stock (10" wide by 1" thick). Can I use the same blade as my BT3100? I have a spare new original BT blade. I not concerned so much about the quality of the cut, just want to be safe.

Second, I would like to do some half lap joints on 2x4 and 4x4 stock, and am thinking of using my SD206 dado blade on this radial arm saw. Are there any issues using this dado blade on a radial arm saw? Again, just asking before I go out and do something stupid...

I appreciate any advice offered.....

Tom
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Tom

I am no expert but I do have a RAS and these are my experiences:

Typical RAS blade has a different hook angle (negative?) from a TS blade. This makes for better cut as well as preventing the blade to ride on your lumber (moving on its own towards you).

I have used my 6" dado blades (Avenger) on RAS many times with no problem and I think cutting half lap is one of the better features of RAS.

I am sure others can add more (and better descriptions)
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• coach
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Forney, TX.
      • Powermatic 66

From a one time RAS user.

The radial arm saw can be as accurate and safe as any other power tool in your shop, if you take the time to learn the tool and set it up properly. Before you make any cuts with the RAS, I advise you download and read this book:

http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...ageID=&CatID=1

It will not only teach you how to properly set-up and use your saw, it will show you safe working techniques and usefull jigs.

Also be advised that you should use a 5degree negative hook blade with a RAS. A positive hook angle (such as you wold find on a table saw) will cause the head to try to "climb" toward you. The wrong blade on a RAS is a very serious accident waiting to happen.

I can not stress enough how important it is to learn the RAS before using. As I said, it can be as safe as any power tool in your shop. However, if not properly tuned, used, and with the right blade; it is by far the most dangerous.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Ditto on what Coach said. Excellent book. Get a negative hook blade before you try and cut anything.
        If the saw you bought is an older Craftsman then there is a re-call on alot of them that provides a new blade guard and table.
        One of the best uses for a RAS, second only to making crosscuts is cutting dado's.
        Tuned up and operated properly the RAS is one of the best additions to the shop IMO. They'll have to pry my cold dead hands off mine Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• just4funsies
          • Dec 2005
          • Florida.
          • BT3000

Hope it doesn't come to THAT, Pat...

I also laud the capabilities of the RAS, but also repeat the warnings. Learn to use it properly, keep the safety features in place, and don't cut corners (pun intended).
          ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• AZ Tom
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2005
            • Murrieta, CA, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. Any specific suggestions for a 10", low cost negative hook blade? In my brief search so far, the only blade I found that specifically mentions a negative hook angle is the Forest Chopmaster. I really don't want to spend that much for this project. (a fence). I'm not really concerned about the quality of the cut, just want to be safe.

BTW, the saw I bought is not a Craftsman, but an old Dewalt (also branded Black and Decker). I did not know the two companies were even related.

Thanks again for all of the helpful coments.

Tom

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I would check out the Dewalt radial arm saw forums. Dewalt was the saw, then Black and Decker bought them in the early 60's and started cheapening production. I would go with a 60 tooth atb if you are crosscutting only. If you are doing both ripping and crosscuts I would change that to a different one (probably not since your here).

The recommended, second choice blade over there is the Freud LU83R008. Not going to get into the hook angle discussion.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Thom2
                Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Quite frankly, I was almost scared to death of my RAS a few weeks ago, it seemed every cut (crosscut) I tried to make, the blade would climb cut like a bulldozer tread in soft turf. I was nearly to the point of selling it, but a little bit of advice kept sticking in my mind. Pat (popeye) had told me that he purchased a blade for his that made all the difference in the world for him. I wasn't going to sell this saw until I had the spare money to at least try this blade he told me about. That was the Freud LU91R010. I've since purchased this blade locally for $67.95 and now I'm like Pat, you'll have to pry my cold dead hands off of this saw to get it from me. That blade made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world, honestly, the control that I now have on crosscuts is absolutely amazing, it's like having a new saw.

I'm not going to say that this particular Freud is the 'best' blade for a RAS, but IMO it's definately a minimal "must-have" if your primarily crosscutting.
                If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• AZ Tom
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2005
                  • Murrieta, CA, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Thom2... thanks!!, that is exactly what I need, in the technical specifications on Amazon, they state that the Freud LU91R010 has a 5 degree negative hook angle..... I'm ordering one now, and won't use this saw until I have the new blade installed, and the saw tuned up.

LinuxRandal... I never thought to look for a forum specifically for a 30+ year old saw, but you are correct... I guess there is a forum for everything, the internet is a wonderful thing.... I found a good deal of information on my particular saw. Thank you...

If anyone is interested, the saw is Dewalt (Black and Decker) model 7770/3427, circa 1969. I have the original manual, and would be happy to scan, and email a pdf if anyone needs a copy.

Tom

Comment

• davidtu
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Seattle, WA
                    • BT3100

You might check out to see if Mike Jackson has any more neg hook Leitz blades... they are only about $16 + tax & shipping...

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...apsed&sb=5&o=7

I ordered and received 3 blades from him, no problems.
                    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

Working...