• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlerwick
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • western Nebraska

Shop Fox vs. Craftsman, or my trip to the dark side

I have gotten to the point where I am no longer satisfied with the BT3100 and have decided to get something bigger. What I am trying to decide is whether I should go with the 3hp Shop Fox cabinet saw or the Craftsman 22124. The Craftsman will qualify for the Craftsman club discount this week so it will knock the price down further. I can get this Shop Fox saw for $1200 delivered to the store. Is this comparing apples and oranges? One is a full blown cabinet saw and the other is a hybrid but I am having trouble figuring out if I will really be happy with the hybrid when I could have a cabinet saw for $300 more. Thanks for any input.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It is an apples to oranges comparison as far as construction of the saws goes....the SF is simply a more substantial machine, though I would give the commercial Biese on the 22124 a slight edge over the SF Classic. For a hobbyist the 22124 is very capable of anything you're likely to do, and due to the weight actually feels alot like a full cab saw. The SF will just do it with less effort. It'll really boil down to how much that $300 premium means to you, the 220v requirements of the SF, and a few other miscellaneous things....like do you already have a blade comparable to the Leitz 40T that comes with the 22124.

FWIW, I'm really pleased with my 22124, but do still occasionally browse the classifieds for a killer deal on a used PM66, Uni, or General just b/c it's been a dream for a while.

http://www.epinions.com/content_184778395268
    Last edited by Knottscott; 07-23-2006, 12:08 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

For a hobbyist the 22124 is very capable of anything you're likely to do.
      Spoken like a true 22124 owner. I'll bet you learned that statement from BT3X00 owners.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by leehljp
        For a hobbyist the 22124 is very capable of anything you're likely to do.
        Spoken like a true 22124 owner. I'll bet you learned that statement from BT3X00 owners.
        It's amazing the little tidbits you pick up around here.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• coach
          Established Member
          • Jan 2005
          • Forney, TX.
          • Powermatic 66

I guess I did it the other way around. Long after I had travelled to the dark side, I had a 3hp Delta cabinet saw (not a Uni, mind you.... the taiwan made one). It was tricked out with a 50" Biese, overhead guard, and shop fox mobile base. I sold it for a little more than I had in it, since I had bought it used in the first place. I took my earnings and got the 22124. I couldn't be happier. I love this saw. It does everything I want or need. I haven't had a single problem ripping through 8/4 maple, oak, or poplar. I use a 24t Leitz blade, and haven't even slowed the puppy down. I also like that I can move it to any location in my shop and don't have to worry about having a cord long enough to go to my only 220v outlet. I also like the sears mobility kit that bolts directly to the saw base. It is extremely easy to move the saw anywhere I want it. The cabinet mounted trunions make table adjustments easy, and they are quite substantial.

I have no complaints about the 22124. I can't think of another saw I'd rather have in my garage/shop. Maybe when I get a dedicated shop, I'll get a PM2000. Until that time, I don't even look at other saws, I got all I want at home.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

It sounds like you have the $$$ for either one, and your hesitation about the 22124 tells me you want the cabinet saw. Make yourself happy.

Comment

• newbie2wood
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • NJ, USA.

I was also hesitant about getting a hybrid saw, and I was ready to order the Jet cabinet saw when Amazon had the free mobile base and dust collector bonus. However, I came across a bargain on the 22124 that I couldn't pass up. I have absolutely no regret with the purchase. In fact, I'm kind of glad that I did not get the 3hp saw. I saved a few hundred dollars by getting the hybrid, but more importantly I saved a bundle by not having to wire my garage for 220v. It would have cost me around $1000 for the electrical work. I'm also happy that the hybrid has a smaller footprint. The 22124 comes with a 30" fence. If I went with my original wish, I would have ended up with a 50" fence (bigger is always better in my mind) which is way too big for my garage and two cars.

A 3hp saw is nice but not necessary unless you are heavy into woodworking. If you really want one for the sake of having one then get it but either saw will do fine for a hobbyist.
              ________
              Depakote settlement update
              Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

Well I just went over the wall myself and bought the Griz 1023. Looks to be identical to the SF you're looking at. I'm in table saw heaven right now. Griz is on sale for $1150 but that's not delievered. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Pat, looks like you have a lot of therapy in your shop.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• davidtu
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Seattle, WA
                    • BT3100

Newbie alert!

I've heard the term "hybrid saw" but I don't know what it means... yet. Anyone?

Also, is Unisaw just a branding or is that somehow related?

Thanks,
                    Dave
                    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A Unisaw is Delta's premier cabinet saw...they also have an industrial cabinet saw that's not marketed as a Uni that's intended to compete with other lower cost Asian made imports.

A hybrid is cross between a cabinet saw and a contractor saw. It still has an induction motor that will run on a standard 120v circuit like a contractor saw's (1.5-2hp), most have table mounted trunnions like a contractor saw's (Craftsman is an exception with cabinet mounted trunnions like a cabinet saw's), but most have a full enclosure and internally mounted motors like a cabinet saw. Hybrids and contractor saws are not built as ruggedly as a full commercial grade cabinet saw, and don't have the 3-5hp motors that need 220v, but are plenty powerful and reliable for homeshops (like a contractor saw). The hybrids are essentially a more modern design than a contractor saw and eliminate many of the issues of DC and floor space caused by the traditional contractor saw design. They also have a more modern style drive belt, and tend to weigh a bit more....many of them in the 350-400# range, so they're a bit more stable than a contractor saw. All three types have the same standard surface area of 27"d x 40" wide, and have standard miter tracks.

contractor saw:

hybrid:

Last edited by Knottscott; 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...