• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I think I have a winner!

Well I think I finally found a Bandsaw blade that is actually worth the money that they charge for it! Maybe even more in this case. I recently ordered a Wood Slicer from Highland Woodworking as the magazines and other such propaganda says how well the blade performs. In several magazines it has won the best in class for resawing and I really hate wasting the wood that I lose now.

So I got it installed and tuned up and tried a few cuts, first at 3/8” just to test the kerf and cleanness of cut and it is very nice. Took right at a 16th of an inch kerf and the surface left would clean up quickly with a scraper or some hand sanding. Then I tried 3/16” then 1/16” and then got brave and cut at 1/32”. I probably could have gone even thinner if I would have had my sacrificial resaw fence attached but I decide I did not want to take a chance of running the blade into my fence.

If you do resawing or need nice clean cuts on the Bandsaw then this is the blade for sure! I am very impressed with it.

Ken
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

1/32"!!! That is awesome.

JR
    JR

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Ken, what saw are you using that blade on?
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• coach
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Forney, TX.
        • Powermatic 66

ya Ken, don't keep us guessing.

I'm looking to upgrading band saws myself.... since I found that it is practically my favorite tool to use. I didn't even think I needed one, just thought I oughta have one. Boy was I wrong. I use it all the time, and my wife does too.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Wow Ken, that's awe inspiring. Good to know that for when I need to cut veneers. I've been using a timberwolf, and it performs nicely, but I wouldn't try a 1/32" cut with it.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• boblon
            • Aug 2003
            • Florida, USA.

Good info, thanks Ken.

I too am curious what saw your running that on? A clean even 1/32" slice is impressive.

BobL.
            "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Ken,
              I agree about the Woodslicer. I've been using them for months and for resawing, they beat even the Timberwolf blades.
              Now, the good part. Iturra sells the same blade as the Woodslicer, named Blade Runner, I believe, for $20. They have just started selling a 5/8" one.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well I ended up buying the Ridgid Bandsaw. When I decided to buy one I got impatient and just went down and bought it instead of messing with shipping and the hassle ordering the Grizzly which is what I thought I wanted. I have to say though that I have been real happy with this saw. I put a Kreg fence on it and tuned it up and it cuts strait and true every time. I have not purchased and installed a riser yet as I have not had the need to resaw a piece over 6” yet.

Ken

Comment

• foneman
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • kansas, USA.

Ken,

What size and TPI blade do you use for this? Would 1/2" 3tpi be too course?

Thanks,
                  john

Comment

Working...