• Show
Clear All
  • lofty900
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004
    • Loves Park, IL, USA.
    • BT3100

Replacement Router

I recently had some little turd get in my garage and steal my router and other tools, and have convinced the loml that I need to replace the router soon. Having been a "lurker" for qquite awhile, thought I would ask you guys your opinions. I am looking at the Ridgid multibase router or the Hitachi Multibase. Both are variable speed, and about the same price. I have read positive reviews of both, so am thinking about tossing a coin. Do any of you have any experience with the Ridgid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

"As you go down the banister of life, may the spinters never point the wrong way"
  • allen
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • Florida.

I suppose that it is because it is so new, but reports on the Ridgid seem hard to come by. The few reports that I have seen have been good. I think that you should buy one and report back here after a good shakedown.

On the other hand everyone seems to like their Hitachis. I have the Hitachi M 12VC and really like it so far. Smooth and quite. I just used it today for some roundovers on a large cabinet that I am building. Cannot report on the combo models.

Allen

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

The Ridgid should fall under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. For that reason alone I would lean towards it. I will say I have neither so I can not speak for the actual performance.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Northwest Power Tools has the Hitachi KM12VC VS kit for $155 delivered.

http://northwestpowertools.com/routers/km12vc.htm
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
          • Feb 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.

I recently reviewed the Ridgid fixed/plunge base router and can say it looks very good. Ridgid spent some time on this one and I think it paid off. See the liknk below for the full review.
          I also have reivews of several of the popular kits in the Router section of our Tool Reviews if that wold help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html
          Tom Hintz
          NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No experience with either, but having examined both in stores, I'd choose the Ridgid. It has that great warranty, and the springs on the Hitachi's plunge base are WAY too powerful and "grabby" ... very mediocre compared to the light, silky smooth feel of the class-leading DeWalt and close-second Bosch.
            Larry

Comment

• Luckbox
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Holly Springs, NC

I have the Bosch and it is great. My only complaint about the Hitachi is that when I was playing with in it Lows was the plunge base was not very smooth and seemed grabby. The dewalt was the smoothest but I did not like the plunge locking mechanism and the Bosch cam with edge guide, three template guides, centering cone, dust hood and above-table depth adjustment wrench. I also like the dial adjustment on the fixed base better the collar adjustment on the dewalt. That is just my oppion.
              I love lamp.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I have the Ridgid, but I haven't used it so I can't speak about it yet. However, I did like the fact that it has the lifetime warranty and the fact the base can also take PC attachments.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a Hitachi kit and love it. It also takes P-C attachements. The kit comes with P-C style template guides. (only dual base kit, not a single router).
                  I believe Hitachi has a 5 year warranty. I had a little problem with collet on my Hitachi ones and Hitachi service was very good. Don't have ridgid router but have other ridgid tools - they are also good quality. Either way you go - you are in good hands.
                  Alex V

Comment

Working...