Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

My name is Brian and I'm a routerholic

I really think I need help.
    Last week I went to Busy Bee and picked up the new Triton on sale.
    Saturday I was driving past the local PC service center and thought I'd check if they had a 5/8" guide for my DT jig (I want a second one so I can use 2 routers set up).
    Well wouldn't you know, the "Fathers Day Sale" that I got the 690 FB on sale 3 weeks ago is still on and they still had 2 left.
    I bought another one.

I now have both Tritons, 2 690 single speed fixed base, Bosch 1617VS Kit, Bosch Colt VS, Ryobi FB in acc. table and my old Mastercraft POS 1/4" plunge router.

I haven't even done a real project yet!! I've been so busy at work, all I've managed so far is half of my mobile base cabinets.

I've become obsessed with buying accessories and bits and even new routers.
    I buy things with an ultimate plan, but am getting out of control.

OH Well!! At least LOML doesn't ask questions. The garage is so packed full of tools and mobile cabinets that she never knows what I bought last year or last week.
    Thanks guys, I feel better now...Not cured, but better.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I think you've got it worse than me! My first router was a modest $50 Craftsman that I still have. Then of course I needed a big 3hp router for table mounting so I landed a Freud FT2000. Last year a great deal on a Milwaukee 5615 got my attention as an upgrade to my original Craftsman for handwork. Then an unbelieve Amazon deal came my way on a Freud FT1700 with all those great above table features, so I took the FT2000 out of the table except for when I really needed it. Then wouldn't you know it, HDT offer that monster Milwaukee 5625 for $198 shipped....which unfortunately meant that I had to sell my 5615 and Freud FT2000. . I'm confused what I even have now, but at least they're all red and black so my wife doesn't catch on!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• allen
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Florida.

This is very interesting! Now I know it is not just me. I have plenty of routers but get a great urge every time that I see one of these good deals come along. Maybe that is why there is a such large market for this tool. We must not be the only ones.

I have had an urge to by the new Ridgid set up just to see how good it is and I do not even need it. Have been able to resist so far but do not know how that will last as someday I will probably just walk in and pick one up for no good reason.

These urges are really crazy.

Allen

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

The Amazon sale is testing my resolve. I must have 5 0r 6 routers but I am just sure I need another but I am not really sure why.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have six, have no definite plans to buy any more aside from a laminate trimmer, but I too have a hard time resisting a good deal on a good router. That, in fact, is how I got my most recent one: amazon.com put the highly-regarded and well-accessoried Bosch 1617EVSPKE kit on sale for some absurdly lowball price like $145. Even though I didn't need the thing, I just couldn't resist. (But I do use them all, aside from my antique 1HP Craftsman, which used to live in the BT's accessory table but has now been returned to its case now that I have the Bosch.)

The router I cannot keep my hands off of when I'm in HD is the Milwaukee BodyGrip series. Luckily for me, amazon.com is still showing those at their regular price.
          Larry

Comment

• allen
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2005
            • Florida.

Larry,

I have the Milwaukee body grip 5615 and really love it. Would really like to have the 5616. One thing for sure--you cannot go wrong with a Milwaukee. But you are right, the price just stays up there where it was.

Allen

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I know exactly how you feel.
              I have not too long ago got my CNC router able to comunicate with me. I had the learning to do. I have bought all the stuff for a CNC mill now and have just barely started to build it and I'm already planning a CNC plasma cutter.
              When will it end?
              Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't feel as bad any more! I'm down from 4 routers to 3. It's not really how many with me...the more important thing is that they're both fairly new!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Stan
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                  • BT3100, Delta 36-717

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Well, I ain't got time to do that right now -- gotta get to eBay and Amazon to watch for 'deals'.......
                  From the NW corner of Montana.
                  http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• davidtu
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Seattle, WA
                    • BT3100

So... no one is getting the Hitachi M12 for $111?

And you call yourselves addicted?!?
                    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

You gentlemen obviously have a serious, addictive problem.

The solution?

Box up all your routers and send them to...

ME!

Duckin' 'n runnin'
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• bigsteel15
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Edmonton, AB
                        • Ryobi BT3100

At least I haven't bought the PC router with the battery pack...Yet.
                        I eyeball it everytime I'm in the service center.
                        Can't justify that just yet.
                        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Cody.h
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                          At least I haven't bought the PC router with the battery pack...Yet.
                          I eyeball it everytime I'm in the service center.
                          Can't justify that just yet.
                          Now youre talkin....that is at the top of my tool lust list!!!

I had a old craftsman I sold at a yard sale after I got the Ryobi 3 base kit last year for thr insane price of like $97.00. Then a while back the little woman and I were in Lowes and they had the PC 892 marked down to $149.00 and we had a 10% off coupon so I talked her into it. I've been trying to find a great deal on the 890 plunge base but to no avail ...yet!

I sure wish Dewalt would come out with a router I could use with my 18volt batteries...could be a match made in heaven!!
                          The truth is just the truth.

Comment

• just4funsies
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Florida.
                            • BT3000

I think it's time for you to enter a 12-step program, even though it would seem that you have more routers than you have STEPS...

(I only have 4 routers, and I'm embarassed to admit even THAT outside this forum...)
                            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

Working...