Tenon Jig Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MilDoc

    #1

    Tenon Jig Help

    Got my Woodcraft jig set up this weekend after misreading the instructions several times. But didn't have time to try it out.

    One thing it says to do is install a backing board the same width as the tenon before cutting. Does this mean a different board for every different width of tenon? I guess that's not too difficult as most tenons in any given project would be the same, but still...
  • beetee3
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • 127
    • The Sunshine State

    #2
    One size (backerboard) fits all. Or any suitable piece of scrap that you have lying around. It's to help prevent tearout.

    Comment

    • Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • 2417
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

      #3
      What BT3 said - think of it as a sacrifical fence. It's meant to get chewed up and replaced periodically. It's function is to provide some support for the work and prevent tear out. HTH.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

      "A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

      Comment

      • MilDoc

        #4
        Thanks - makes sense to me.

        Comment

        • allen
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2005
          • 21
          • Florida.

          #5
          Paul,

          I do not know if you are going to find that it takes a few adjustments to get the correct thickness and also have the tenon perfectly centered but I did. In fact, for me, it took a good bit of time before that I was satisfied. I did not want to go through that again so I kept the thickness spacer for future use and also cut one last tenon that was perfect and kept it also for future set up. I am doing this for each new size that I use.

          You have probably already thought of that but just thought that I would mention it as it sure makes it easy to go back to previous settings.

          Hope that you like your new jig! I sure like mine.

          Allen
          Last edited by allen; 07-10-2006, 10:42 PM.

          Comment

          Working...